Why become a member? ×

LED fretboard inlay

jebroad

I've got some ideas for an led fret board. Treble offset translucent dot markers with a channel routed in the neck for the LEDs.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this. I have some experience in electronics i effects pedals and such and this looks quite simple.

11 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Use only one LED in the electronics cavity with some optic fibers going directly to the side dots nor fretboard dots, so when the LED burns, it will be easy to fix...

What diameter cable should i use? The inlays are 7mm diameter if it helps.

I've done the fibre optic thing and not sure I would do it again. They're a pain to work with and they have to be really quite small to bend enough to get them in place. It's also quite a big bunch of fibres compared to the wires of an LED chain. It does have the benefit of not having to worry about the bulb going though. 

Theres a tutorial for both LEDs and fibre optics over on talkbass.

13 minutes ago, Manton Customs said:

I've done the fibre optic thing and not sure I would do it again. They're a pain to work with and they have to be really quite small to bend enough to get them in place. It's also quite a big bunch of fibres compared to the wires of an LED chain. It does have the benefit of not having to worry about the bulb going though. 

Theres a tutorial for both LEDs and fibre optics over on talkbass.

Sounds good. I’m quite a fan of you guys at manton as I’ve fallen in love with me of your basses. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

So, what do you do when a LED burns... Deglue the whole fretboard ? I had a bass where it happened and not a cheap one...

Both these methods have advantages and disadvantages. The fibre optic method is great for lifespan but the individual LED method is easier. 

12 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

So, what do you do when a LED burns... Deglue the whole fretboard ? I had a bass where it happened and not a cheap one...

What I was saying is there are compromises with both if you're installing yourself and there's only so big you could go with fibres. The original poster is asking about installation so I thought I'd chime in with my personal experience of doing just that.

Removing the fretboard to replace a burnt out LED would definitely suck but it's not impossible either. They do tend to last a very long time also.

Ive also heard of people cracking fibres when removing the neck on a bolt on bass too. Which would be just as bad as a burnt out LED.

Anyway...my preference is luminlay :p. Obviously not the same effect as either but does the job on a dark stage.

5 minutes ago, rushscored4 said:

I bought a cheap ibanez for a few hundred quid off Facebook a few years ago with LED inlays and a psychedelic disco finish. I use it occasionally for functions in parts of Cheshire and Lancashire where people still stop and stare at bright lights...

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I’m in love!

On 2/27/2018 at 22:59, Manton Customs said:

What I was saying is there are compromises with both if you're installing yourself and there's only so big you could go with fibres. The original poster is asking about installation so I thought I'd chime in with my personal experience of doing just that.

Removing the fretboard to replace a burnt out LED would definitely suck but it's not impossible either. They do tend to last a very long time also.

Ive also heard of people cracking fibres when removing the neck on a bolt on bass too. Which would be just as bad as a burnt out LED.

Anyway...my preference is luminlay :p. Obviously not the same effect as either but does the job on a dark stage.

I'd say for most musicians, most of the time the Luminlayr system will be fine. However it's not without it's own set of problems. Firstly it's nowhere near as bright as an LED or fibre system and secondly if you lose the recharging torch they aren't going to be any use at all, and you can guarantee you won't realise you've lost the torch (or left it at home) until 5 minutes before your are due to go on stage for an important gig.

Just now, BigRedX said:

secondly if you lose the recharging torch they aren't going to be any use at all

I don't have a recharging torch, I find the glow from just being in the light works - if I wanted more I would just put it next to one of the stage lights for a bit.

Not of course saying that if I had I bass like the ibby up there with the lights I wouldn't gig it everywhere!

Any UV lighting will do the job, like the sun for instance and most of the now found everywhere LED lights as they are not filtered except if there is a real glass panel between the source and the Luminlay's.

Real glass being a natural UV filter. Ever tried to tan behind a window ?