Why become a member? ×

£700 or less bass. Whats the best option?

FarFromTheTrees

What would you guys say is the best bass (5 string) in the £700 range? I'm soon to be in the market for something to replace my old Cort c5z.

The Sire M7 Swamp ash has caught my eye at around £680. I've noticed the price has also dropped on the Ibanez SRFF805 which I have seen priced at around £750 (which is about the upper limit of what I would be able to afford at this moment in time). I've been checking out the classifieds here on a daily basis but nothing used at that price has jumped out at me as yet.

I play in a alt metal band (tuned A# C# G# C# F# so would like to try a 35" scale for string tension) but also like to play a ton of reggae at home.  I use a Little Mark III for amplification.

Cheers!

Edited by FarFromTheTrees

1 minute ago, OmeDunk said:

5 strings and 35” you say?

get yourself a Lakland Skyline. You can thank me later.

They are indeed great instruments. Also, there are a few MTD Kingstons for sale here on the forum which are also 35” scale and have some of the comfiest neck profiles I’ve played. Definitely worth a look.

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

For that money I’d say hunt for a high end used Ibanez 5er. You’ve already got your eye on the fanned fret model which would be a good choice but there are loads of other models that’ll tick your boxes nicely. What’s your preference on string spacing, @FarFromTheTrees?

18mm for preference! My 5er is smaller than this and I find it somewhat tight, especially now i'm starting to learn more slap stuff from my tutor. 

1 hour ago, FuNkShUi said:

Here it is:

I have no affiliation with the seller, i just cannot believe a German made 5 string Warwick is for sale for £550. Absolutely bonkers

I did see this but the string spacing looks a fair bit too big for me. I have fairly small hands but i've never played a bass with string spacing this large before. I have a 4er with 18mm spacing and that seems to be at my comfort limit.

1 hour ago, ambient said:

Ibanez.

best to go to a shop and just try as many as possible. What one person likes someone else will hate.

Not many good music shops close to me i'm afraid. The closest would be over in Newcastle which would entail a 200 mile around trip!

Edited by FarFromTheTrees

3 minutes ago, FarFromTheTrees said:

18mm for preference! My 5er is smaller than this and I find it somewhat tight, especially now i'm starting to learn more slap stuff from my tutor. 

I did see this but the string spacing looks a fair bit too big for me. I have fairly small hands but i've never played a bass with string spacing this large before. I have a 4er with 18mm spacing and that seems to be at my comfort limit.

Not many good music shops close to me i'm afraid. The closest would be over in Newcastle which would entail a 200 mile around trip!

Have a look at Ibanez. A couple of my students use them. One has a brilliant 6 string that he got for a stupid price.

MTD also make some great instruments.

Ibanez BTB 5ers usually have 19mm string spacing at the bridge, the SRs are usually 17mm. MTD Kingstons are 19mm too. The Yamaha BB series 5ers are 18mm though and very comfy, as well as sounding huge!

As far as scale length is concerned, I’m a strong believer that string gauge has a much greater influence on string tension than an extra inch in scale length. In other words, don’t get too hung up on getting a bass with a 35” scale as there are plenty of fantastic basses out there at 34” or less!

7 minutes ago, ambient said:

Have a look at Ibanez. A couple of my students use them. One has a brilliant 6 string that he got for a stupid price.

MTD also make some great instruments.

Ive been looking around at them. Ive actually never really been a fan of Ibanez basses but the SRFF805 really appeals to me, even though the string spacing isnt ideal.

11 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Ibanez BTB 5ers usually have 19mm string spacing at the bridge, the SRs are usually 17mm. MTD Kingstons are 19mm too. The Yamaha BB series 5ers are 18mm though and very comfy, as well as sounding huge!

As far as scale length is concerned, I’m a strong believer that string gauge has a much greater influence on string tension than an extra inch in scale length. In other words, don’t get too hung up on getting a bass with a 35” scale as there are plenty of fantastic basses out there at 34” or less!

Good to know. Thanks man.

I tried heavier gauge strings on my Cort, and although it did improve playability at lower tunings it still felt somewhat looser than I expected and it sounds really quite muddy with lost tonality. Hence why i'd like to try a longer scale. I know there are 34" basses with great B strings however. I havent counted them out entirely :)

I use 5 string basses.  For one band we detune half a step for everything and the bass that copes with this the best is, perhaps surprisingly, my Yamaha BB425.  130 gauge string is still pretty taut, more so than my MM Sterling 5 - which is a better bass overall but the B string does go slightly flabby when tuned down half a step (although not enough to be an issue).  I did have a BB5000 for a while and even that wasn't as taut as the BB425.  I wonder if that little extension piece on the bridge is what makes a difference?

15 hours ago, FarFromTheTrees said:

Great basses, very well made and tight focused tones. However, if you really want a ReBop or Euro 5LX then I would suggest saving a little longer. One will come up and you should be able to get an ex-condition used Euro for £800-£900.

• Like 1

I'd do that 200 mile round trip.  Make a day of it.

I've been an Ibby player since 1990 & though I've had a few other basses over the years, the Ibby is My go to instrument.

But...  There's a lot of great options out there & what's good for me might not suit you.  That's why I say try loads.  £700 is a decent budget too.