Why become a member? ×

Lowering action.

DJpullchord

Lower away. If it works, fine, if it doesn't (nothing lost) go back to a higher action and consider Steve's suggestions. I improved the feel of several top end basses by getting the frets levelled and a set up at the Bass Gallery. IMO definitely worth considering.

I've also seen some very fast players with high actions, so focus on your technique and just try to play faster.

I’ve dropped the strings as far as they can go and it’s like a different instrument. I can now hammer on pull off and tap with ease. Also slap and pop, although I’m in two rock bands so absolutely pointless but does annoy the wife.

Tone is different though, not as rich, how does distance of strings to pickup affect tone?

thanks!

3 hours ago, DJpullchord said:

I’ve dropped the strings as far as they can go and it’s like a different instrument. I can now hammer on pull off and tap with ease. Also slap and pop, although I’m in two rock bands so absolutely pointless but does annoy the wife.

Tone is different though, not as rich, how does distance of strings to pickup affect tone?

thanks!

Maybe try lowering the pick ups as well. Now the strings are closer to them the tone will change. Its worth noting that the lower you go with the strings, the more chance you get of fret buzz/clank. These can also effect the tone. As John said, you might need a slightly softer touch now as well. I suppose it deepens on how low you went. Did you take any measurements?

3 hours ago, DJpullchord said:

thanks!

I think you need to consider making a similar adjustment to your pick ups as the strings now sit closer to them.

Adjusting pickup height may help.

However, some people think that substanitially lowering action, or substantially raising action, also can affect tone as the strings have less (or more) space in which to vibrate giving a richer (or not) harmonic spectrum. That's why with a lowered action one needs to play with a lighter touch; with a higher action one can more freely dig in.

But I think it's fair to say that this claim is disputed.

2 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

However, some people think that substanitially lowering action, or substantially raising action, also can affect tone as the strings have less (or more) space in which to vibrate giving a richer (or not) harmonic spectrum.

But I think it's fair to say that this claim is disputed.

It sure is. A while back I put forward the notion that a string with a higher action sounds better than one with a low action (regardless of pickup height) and was roundly castigated by dullards. I still think it's true, however. :on_the_quiet: Thpppppp!

Edited by discreet