Why become a member? ×

*** SOLD*** Vintage 1974 Fernandes Burny Jazz Bass (Japan) ** now £550 **
£630

Tradfusion

If anyone is looking for the tone and feel of a vintage 74 Fender Jazz bass but is not prepared to shell out a few grand for one, this bass might be just the ticket.. This is a 1974 Fernandes Burny Bass which was made in Japan as a pretty direct copy of a Fender Jazz. I bought this one from Danny Stewart at Bass Japan Direct a few months back and it is a cracking bass. As far as he could tell the bass is original apart from the addition of a battery compartment from a previous owners flurry at making it active... the bass is totally passive now however and sounds just like what you would want from a 70's Jazz bass... phat and funky!!

The body is Japanese ash with a maple neck and the fingerboard is bound maple with pearl block inlays... the frets still have plenty of life left in them. The body has a brown Mocha gloss finish that has aged to look almost like walnut, its a very cool colour in the flesh. The pickguard was originally white but Danny covered it with a dark walnut veneer which really suits the vibe of the bass.

Speaking of vibe this bass has tons of it, both pickups are super punchy and tonally it barks every bit as good as (if not better than) any original 70's Fender Jazz basses I've played. Weight is a very manageable 4.1kg on my luggage scales. The bass arrived from Tokyo in a cool vintage faux leather gigbag inside a cardboard shipping box with lots of packaging and I still have all of those for re-shipping if required. The bass is located in Ireland but shipping to the UK or Europe is no problem. Please PM with any questions..

Price drop now £550

2018-02-26 20.59.01.jpg

2018-02-26 21.00.06.jpg

2018-02-26 21.01.43.jpg

2018-02-26 21.00.47.jpg

2018-02-26 21.05.25.jpg

2018-01-06 15.16.06.jpg

2018-01-06 15.17.34.jpg

Edited by Tradfusion

It's a nice looking bass but just to be clear (as it's a particular bugbear of mine), please refrain from using 'lawsuit' or 'lawsuit era', because it's not.

Ibanez were the only manufacturer subject to any litigation and that came from Gibson, not Fender.  Fernandes were no more subject to a lawsuit than Aria (Precise/Primary series) or Tokai (Jazz Sound or Hard Puncher basses)

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's a nice looking bass but just to be clear (as it's a particular bugbear of mine), please refrain from using 'lawsuit' or 'lawsuit era', because it's not.

Ibanez were the only manufacturer subject to any litigation and that came from Gibson, not Fender.  Fernandes were no more subject to a lawsuit than Aria (Precise/Primary series) or Tokai (Jazz Sound or Hard Puncher basses)

Obviously I've been misinformed... thanks for the education I will remove the offending wording :$

9 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's a nice looking bass but just to be clear (as it's a particular bugbear of mine), please refrain from using 'lawsuit' or 'lawsuit era', because it's not.

I’m not entirely convinced about this, it was a Gibson / Ibáñez lawsuit which I believe was something to do with the Les Paul headstock shape, however I wasn’t aware that a lawsuit “era” guitar had to be Ibáñez, or indeed a Les Paul copy,  the legal challenge stopped numerous Japanese companies making identical (and much better) copies of Fenders and Gibson’s. I feel a little googling may be required to get a definitive answer on this 😄

Edited by Creeper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Creeper said:

I’m not entirely convinced about this, it was a Gibson / Ibáñez lawsuit which I believe was something to do with the Les Paul headstock shape, however I wasn’t aware that a lawsuit “era” guitar had to be Ibáñez, or indeed a Les Paul copy,  the legal challenge stopped numerous Japanese companies making identical (and much better) copies of Fenders and Gibson’s. I feel a little googling may be required to get a definitive answer on this 😄

"Lawsuit era" is a rather meaningless phrase. It doesn't imply that Fernandes or anyone else was subject to a suit, merely that an instrument was made around the same time that Gibson sued. . 

• Like 2

This may be a rather more subjective topic than anticipated, the below article mentions a number of lawsuits taken out against different companies for different copyright issues at the time and does not limit lawsuit guitars to Ibanez only.

Sorry Tradfusion for going on, If it didn’t have the additional routing I may well of had this, I promise not to mention “lawsuit” again.

http://www.jazzguitar.be/lawsuit_guitars.html

1 minute ago, Creeper said:

This may be a rather more subjective topic than anticipated, the below article mentions a number of lawsuits taken out against different companies for different copyright issues at the time and does not limit lawsuit guitars to Ibanez only.

Sorry Tradfusion for going on, If it didn’t have the additional routing I may well of had this, I promise not to mention “lawsuit” again.

http://www.jazzguitar.be/lawsuit_guitars.html

No worries mate, its all interesting history anyway :)

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, sterling_76 said:

When was the bass manufactured? Or is it really from the 70s?

Yes it was manufactured in Japan in1974 so it is 44 years old, sorry if some of the previous comments are a bit confusing, during the mid 70's the Japanese manufactured a variety of 'copy' basses mostly based on Fender or Gibson type designs and legal action ensued eventually which is why that period is often referred to as the 'law suit' era... opinions vary on this subject which led to some of the previous comments... the bass is in lovely condition, has all the tone and feel of a good 70's Fender Jazz and it has aged beautifully.. I hope that clears it up a bit.. if you have any other questions feel free to ask... :)