Why become a member? ×

Am I missing something?

andy67

Recently bought another US Precision - a keeper this time - but when researching, I noticed that sellers on forums and eBay/gumtree are looking to get more for Mexican RW and 50's classics than the US Ps are selling for.

What am I missing?

I paid £750 for my 2013 US P however, some are looking for £800+ for the above two Mexican derivatives.

Andy :D 

Classic 50s and Roadworns aren't cheap when new. I sold a roadworn Precision recently, and have a Classic 50s P on sale here at the moment. Having said that, I was in need of a new Jazz bass today, and bought a Mexican standard, 630 quid and a lot of bass for the money. I have several US Standard Precisions, (and have had Jazzes all well) and the current MiM range are good basses for the money.

I can understand why the Road Worns are priced near to the US, very good basses indeed. The Classics are good, not as good as the RWs imo but still a darn fine bass and better than the Mex Standard, although not by that much - again imo. I think the quality of Mex Standard Fenders has upped significantly, 2012 models onwards, and whilst the US Standard is king for me, the Mex are gaining ground. I`ve two Mex Standard Precisions at present - one going to be sold soon - and for the £400 or so you get them for 2nd hand there is a great deal of bass there. Similar to Dave I`m looking for a Jazz at present, and am going Mex, will be plenty for my needs.

Lozz, we need to get our Jazz bass lust cycles synchronised better! It will save both a pile of money if we can arrange it so one of us is selling and the other buying at any one time! The 2017 MiM standard Jazz I bought today is as good as the US ones were a few years ago, and at under half the price the US are in the shops now, it wasn't a hard decision.

6 hours ago, andy67 said:

What am I missing?

The actual price the transaction, if any, occurs at.

Just because someone lists a bass at £800, it doesn't mean its worth £800 or that anyone would buy it at that price. Having said that, there do seem to be people out there who will pay over-the-odds for something, I have no idea why! I guess with this in mind, its worth taking a punt by overpricing it. Or setting the price leaving plenty of wiggle room for negotiation, ie the buyer thinks they knocked off 30% and got a good deal when in fact they paid the going rate etc.

Cheers for the replies folks 👍 I’ve owned a Mex standard, classic and RW, all excellent in their own right especially the RW 😎 my gripe with the Mex Ps is the thickness of the headstock against the US P. If that was rectified, there would be little to no difference. I also know I’m being petty, picky and snobby! Lol 

😂 

On 2/26/2018 at 15:30, andy67 said:

Recently bought another US Precision - a keeper this time - but when researching, I noticed that sellers on forums and eBay/gumtree are looking to get more for Mexican RW and 50's classics than the US Ps are selling for.

What am I missing?

I paid £750 for my 2013 US P however, some are looking for £800+ for the above two Mexican derivatives.

Andy :D 

The Classic 50s is now around £850, so asking for that much used does seem excessive... but there's a version in nitro that costs £1,050 or thereabouts... so I can see some "as new" instruments going for £700-800 or so. They have a good reputation, and with good reason (my Classic 50s is going nowhere).

The RW version is about £1200, so £800 does not seem crazy either... and they ARE really nice instruments.

Prices have gone up a lot over the past 2 years or so... it's crazy.

7 minutes ago, andy67 said:

It is crazy when you consider the US P price is lower. I loved my classic 50s, it got sold to pay for a car repair. The RW was stunning! But I’m really picky about the thickness of the headstock and the MIMs are to thin for my liking. 

I've got both MiM and US Fenders and have never even noticed a difference in the headstock. To save me the effort of going upstairs and comparing them, what exactly is the difference?

On 26/02/2018 at 16:06, Geek99 said:

mexican stuff is pretty good these days - I'm honestly not sure the US models are worth the huge premium for a handful of extra toys

@andy67

I agree, I needed another Jazz bass and bought a Mexican Standard new a couple of days ago. The cheapest US Jazz in the shop was about 2 1/2 times the price and I didn't feel the difference was worth paying that much for. 

I suspect that what the OP is seeing is that MiM basses suffer less depression than the US ones at the moment, plus the fact the Roadworns and Classic series are very much in demand. And if anyone would like one, I happen to have one advertised in the for sale section!

4 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I've got both MiM and US Fenders and have never even noticed a difference in the headstock. To save me the effort of going upstairs and comparing them, what exactly is the difference?

There is a around 2-3mm in it, enough to notice. The American standard P is around the £1400 mark but appears to depreciate more than the Mex derivatives. 🤭

On 26/02/2018 at 16:06, Geek99 said:

mexican stuff is pretty good these days - I'm honestly not sure the US models are worth the huge premium for a handful of extra toys

@andy67

I'll have to get a ruler out, I've a selection of Fenders upstairs and haven't even noticed! I didn't think you can still get a US Standard, unless some places still have old stock. and the others are even more expensive

1 hour ago, andy67 said:

There is a around 2-3mm in it, enough to notice. 

Measured a few, the US headstock is 5/8" thick, the Mexican 9/16", so the MiM are 1/16" thinner (about 1.5mm). I've got several sitting side by side and have never noticed before. I'd have thought a slightly thinner, and therefore lighter. headstock would be a good thing, it is still more than strong enough.

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

Measured a few, the US headstock is 5/8" thick, the Mexican 9/16", so the MiM are 1/16" thinner (about 1.5mm). I've got several sitting side by side and have never noticed before. I'd have thought a slightly thinner, and therefore lighter. headstock would be a good thing, it is still more than strong enough.

The Mex headstocks are perfectly formed, it’s just something I prefer. 👍