Why become a member? ×

You've probably all seen this before, but still interesting. Woodstock artiste fees.

leschirons

5 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

In a way I feel a little sorry for you guys in the UK.

Over here in the States our festivals are still "fun in the sun" events with scantily clad free spirited ladies.

When I watch clips from Glastonbury it always looks rainy. As a matter of fact from what I see all your outdoor festivals are rainy.

What gives?

Blue

It's the UK. It rains a lot, because we're an island with the whole of the north atlantic next to us. I used to go to free festivals like Stonehenge in the 70s, and don't remember any rain at all, though my memory from those daze might be too reliable!

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Over here in the States our festivals are still "fun in the sun" events with scantily clad free spirited ladies.

When I watch clips from Glastonbury it always looks rainy. As a matter of fact from what I see all your outdoor festivals are rainy.

What gives?

Blue

Summer is our 'rainy season'.

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

What gives?

Blue

I know there is a language problem between the UK and USA but could you please explain what "fun in the sun" is.  We have fun but, living in the very north of England (only a 10 to 15 minute drive to the border with Scotland) I am not familiar with the word "sun".  Here in the UK we know when it is summer as the sleet turns to rain.

Edited by LeftyP

11 hours ago, Bluewine said:

What gives?

Blue

"Fun in the sun" with "scantily clad free spirited laydees"? Free STDs for all. Whoopee. Everything's fine in America, etc (now, where did I put my assault rifle?). We can do without your pity, thanks all the same.

19 hours ago, Bluewine said:

What gives?

Blue

Hey, dont feel sorry for us. We enjoy festivals despite the weather, we dont need sunshine to enjoy stuff.  Its the "We are all in this together" spirit.  I thing the US has many more and pressing problems than we do in the UK at the moment. I wont go into them here.

20 hours ago, Bluewine said:

What gives?

Blue

Festivals should be fun in the sun.

Unfortunately here in the UK summer is the season when the rain is slightly less cold than at other times of the year. I think I mentioned in a previous thread of yours about festivals that my band did a whole bunch of them a couple of years ago. The only one where it didn't rain was the one where we played indoors in a hall (to almost no audience as they were all outside enjoying the sun). The only good thing about rain at UK festivals is that if you happen to be a relatively unknown band playing in a tent rather than on the main stage you can count on a considerably larger audience if the weather is inclement!

5 hours ago, mikel said:

Hey, dont feel sorry for us. We enjoy festivals despite the weather, we dont need sunshine to enjoy stuff.  Its the "We are all in this together" spirit.  I thing the US has many more and pressing problems than we do in the UK at the moment. I wont go into them here.

Good point, however I'm sticking with " fun in the sun "

Blue

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Festivals should be fun in the sun.

Unfortunately here in the UK summer is the season when the rain is slightly less cold than at other times of the year. I think I mentioned in a previous thread of yours about festivals that my band did a whole bunch of them a couple of years ago. The only one where it didn't rain was the one where we played indoors in a hall (to almost no audience as they were all outside enjoying the sun). The only good thing about rain at UK festivals is that if you happen to be a relatively unknown band playing in a tent rather than on the main stage you can count on a considerably larger audience if the weather is inclement!

But why is the rain so consistent. Are you guys located in a space on the globe that's condusive to a lot of rain for a reason?

Blue

20 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

But why is the rain so consistent. Are you guys located in a space on the globe that's condusive to a lot of rain for a reason?

Blue

Er yes. Britain is an island in the North Atlantic and has a 'maritime climate'. This means that it rains - alot...! 

I think that your description of music festivals, freedom, fun in the sun and 'free spirited' females is part of the american dream. Unfortunately this dream also has a negative side to it, which we regrettably have seen way too much of in recent months. But then again, I don't think that you have ever denied that, although too many of your compatriots do seem to be in denial. 

Edited by peteb

Ach come on guys keep the politics to the political threads and lets just enjoy what festivals are all about. Getting together with friends and like minded half wits getting p****d (or stoned depending on your preferences) and watching some great bands. Hail, rain, snow or sun won't be what you remember in 25yrs time. You'll only remember the great time you had.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

I like my rain. I only holiday in my own country of Scotland nowadays. When i go to hot countries i get to about 7-10 days in and i'm missing my greenery, the trees, the rugged highland mountains and of course the rain. Couldn't live in a hot country i'm afraid. Too uncomfortable for me.

Dave

Yep i've seen snow in Scotland in early June. I was once on holiday in May when it snowed first day i got to Loch Ness and the following day and the week after it was low 20's T shirt and jeans to the pub for a wee dram. mmmmm 

Low 20's is about my comfort limit.

Dave

11 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

It doesn't get any easier. I'm in my mid 40s and our weather still depresses me. We did a 3 day outdoor festival last year and played on the Saturday. Friday and Sunday were hot and warm but when we played on Saturday night is poured down of rain and everyone ran to the beer tents.

I lived in Sydney for 18 months and when I came home I was just glad to see weather. Be careful what you wish for. 12 hours of sunshine and 30c temps for two thirds of the year might seem like heaven, but it's hell when you're in the middle of it. Our second Christmas levelled out at 45c for about 2 weeks!

From one extreme to the other, in the UK, as the saying goes, there is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.

For about 5 years I used to gig on the west coast of Scotland at the start of January. I didn't understand when I saw some people going to the shops dressed in oilskins, like trawlermen. Then the first storm struck. I nearly died of exposure, wearing my M&S raincoat, walking the 100 yds to the gig!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bonzodog said:

It doesn't get any easier. I'm in my mid 40s and our weather still depresses me. We did a 3 day outdoor festival last year and played on the Saturday. Friday and Sunday were hot and warm but when we played on Saturday night is poured down of rain and everyone ran to the beer tents.

I hope it was because of the rain :biggrin:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I spent 16 years in Finland. Lows of minus 35 in the winter, highs of plus 35 in the summer. Loved it!

That's proper seasonal tho. Cold in winter and warm in summer. Problem we have in Scotland is it can be anything anytime of the year. Too unpredictable but i kinda like it.

You just need to adapt your day to cope with the weather.

Dave