Why become a member? ×

Down-Weighting without Down-Grading

Gamble

2 hours ago, CokeyW said:

I’m about to list two Markbass 4x8” NY804 cabs. Smaller and easier to manage and with an 8x8” you’d have more cone area than your 6x10”. Their quoted frequency range matches your SWR and I’ve found them plenty deep enough. 

Ooh, what impedance and handling are they? I've had a guy rave at me about his pair before and to be fair he did rattle some windows with them

11 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

The original poster says that he's "budget conscious" but also "tempted to try and find a pair of Markbass 104 HFs", which suggests the budget is £1600.  If so, either two Big Baby 2 or one Big Twin 2 are within budget.

I'm not sure you need stereo inputs on the cab to run a synth and a bass guitar from the same amp?  Although I might have not understood what you mean.

I'm talking 2nd hand for Markbass cabs, so maybe £700ish for a pair going on the prices I've seen recently. No real figure set in stone for the budget, I'm just looking into how much I need to sell and save to get what I want really!

As for running a stereo setup, it's because of stereo fx on both the synth and bass. I'm also considering running my sampler through the same amp & cab setup but I think that'd just give the soundman headaches if I dont have the balance of everything spot on.

Guest Jecklin
On 25/02/2018 at 12:11, Gamble said:

Hey, I'm after a bit of advice and some opinions on bits and bobs if you all don't mind helping.

For years I've been very happy with my SWR Goliath Sr 6x10, it's taken everything I've thrown at it and sounded good while doing it. I've cranked it and forgotten to DI my head in a 250 cap venue before and rather than disturb the show the soundman brought everything else up to match and I've loved having that ability, maybe only having a 65w starter amp and a guitarist with a 100w drowning me out stuck with me.....

Anyways, although it's got kickback wheels and isn't quite so heavy that I can't load it into my car on my own it is getting to be a bit much, especially as I've started rehearsing with a band who use a studio with stairs.

So what I'm thinking is that I'd like a pair of more manageable cabs which won't lose any of the capabilities of my trusty old lump. I'm also drop tuning to B with a low F# below it on my 5 string so low capabilities are important, although to be fair the SWR doesn't look that great on paper in that respect.

I'm very tempted to try and find a pair of Markbass 104 HFs and actually go bigger, but I'm not convinced I'll fit everything in my car at once. Id also be after 4 ohm ones as I'd like to go stereo rather than diasy chain them. The low response on the 102s isn't as good and I'm not sure if get the volume I want either.

So what else is out there? I hear a lot of buzz about Barefaced, but they're quite expensive. BFM stuff, but which to chose? Would I get a comparable sound or would I have to eq differently due to the cab design? Not ideal as I usually DI my head so want my "standard" tone going out that way too.

What do you all reckon?

What amp are you currently using?

An SWR as well?

Beware the odds and sods upgrade path - buying a cab here, an amp there, mixing and matching and never really being satisfied. It appears cheap, because you buy in dribs and drabs, but you can end up spending more than if you just sell your existing rig and go for something you like. I did that before I saw sense, off loaded my mish-mash of stuff and bought what I really wanted/liked.

19 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Beware the odds and sods upgrade path - buying a cab here, an amp there, mixing and matching and never really being satisfied. It appears cheap, because you buy in dribs and drabs, but you can end up spending more than if you just sell your existing rig and go for something you like. I did that before I saw sense, off loaded my mish-mash of stuff and bought what I really wanted/liked.

It can be risky but I've got a plan in mind, the only real variable is the cab at the moment. I ought to Get the other bits first but having to take my 6x10 to rehearsals each week recently has brought the reality of the thing home to me!

12 hours ago, Gamble said:

It can be risky but I've got a plan in mind, the only real variable is the cab at the moment. I ought to Get the other bits first but having to take my 6x10 to rehearsals each week recently has brought the reality of the thing home to me!

Rather than using a single large cab, I'd go for several smaller ones. You only need take out what the job needs and several trips carrying lighter stuff is better than one that gives you a hernia. You may not even need to go lightweight if you do that. Older style smaller cabs - such as 2x10s - are quite manageable and cheap to pick up used these days.

2 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Rather than using a single large cab, I'd go for several smaller ones. You only need take out what the job needs and several trips carrying lighter stuff is better than one that gives you a hernia. You may not even need to go lightweight if you do that. Older style smaller cabs - such as 2x10s - are quite manageable and cheap to pick up used these days.

That's exactly what I'm planning on, I've already got an old Warwick 2x10 but it's still heavy and never loud enough on its own so I want 4x10 or similar at the minimum. Maybe a pair in the future, but the stereo giggery pokery might have to wait.

15 hours ago, bassmayhem said:

I feel like I repeat myself, but have you considered the little Quilter BassBlock 800? It is a very potent 800 Watt amp, weighing in at a mere 3.75 lbs. You have a lot of cabs to choose from, Barefaced, TKS and others...

The OP mentioned that budget is a constraint. Your suggestions are all good, but not cheap.

Actually I'm only really asking about cabs in this thread, I'm happy enough with my head for now but the 6x10 is getting unwieldy! 

But thanks for your input, I hadn't even heard of those heads so there's food for thought if I do decide to change. 

Edited by Gamble