Why become a member? ×

Down-Weighting without Down-Grading

Gamble

Hey, I'm after a bit of advice and some opinions on bits and bobs if you all don't mind helping.

For years I've been very happy with my SWR Goliath Sr 6x10, it's taken everything I've thrown at it and sounded good while doing it. I've cranked it and forgotten to DI my head in a 250 cap venue before and rather than disturb the show the soundman brought everything else up to match and I've loved having that ability, maybe only having a 65w starter amp and a guitarist with a 100w drowning me out stuck with me.....

Anyways, although it's got kickback wheels and isn't quite so heavy that I can't load it into my car on my own it is getting to be a bit much, especially as I've started rehearsing with a band who use a studio with stairs.

So what I'm thinking is that I'd like a pair of more manageable cabs which won't lose any of the capabilities of my trusty old lump. I'm also drop tuning to B with a low F# below it on my 5 string so low capabilities are important, although to be fair the SWR doesn't look that great on paper in that respect.

I'm very tempted to try and find a pair of Markbass 104 HFs and actually go bigger, but I'm not convinced I'll fit everything in my car at once. Id also be after 4 ohm ones as I'd like to go stereo rather than diasy chain them. The low response on the 102s isn't as good and I'm not sure if get the volume I want either.

So what else is out there? I hear a lot of buzz about Barefaced, but they're quite expensive. BFM stuff, but which to chose? Would I get a comparable sound or would I have to eq differently due to the cab design? Not ideal as I usually DI my head so want my "standard" tone going out that way too.

What do you all reckon?

These days you can easily reduce the size and weight of your rig without reducing volume or quality of tone. They will sound different to your SWR so don't try to replicate your old sound, but many can sound even better.

Basically checkout any cabs with neodymium speakers. The best of these will not be cheap but they are not the most expensive gear in the marketplace either. 

IMO some of the brands that are at the top of the pile; Mesa Boogie, Aguilar, Genzler, Markbass, Bergantino, Vanderkley and Barefaced.

You have to build BFM cabs yourself or find a builder. You can easily buy a 410, 212 or 2 112's that will out perform your 610, but if you are playing down to an F# below low B then you're reducing the pool of suitable cabs. With that requirement you've got to be checking out Barefaced. The BT2 is a monster and the Four10/Six10 cabs will handle down to 25Hz. Not many cabs will do that.

Edited by chris_b

I don't use the bottom string a lot, but I want it to be audible when I do. I'm just drop tuning a standard scale bass with slightly heavier gauge strings than standard so I'm by no means getting the best low response possible from my bass either, but I like the rattley drop tuned sound.

The other consideration is going with a pair of cabs or a single lightweight cab I can run with stereo inputs, as I'm looking to start using my synth as well as my bass through the same amp

Edited by Gamble

It really does seem like I'm asking a lot, I know.

Does anyone know much about the BFM stuff? A friend of mine made an Omni 2x10 and likes it a lot but says the low end is a bit lacking, I was thinking maybe a 2x12 with stereo inputs might do the trick but can't see any frequency response charts for it on the website

Edited by Gamble

28 minutes ago, Gamble said:

Does anyone know much about the BFM stuff? A friend of mine made an Omni 2x10 and likes it a lot but says the low end is a bit lacking, I was thinking maybe a 2x12 with stereo inputs might do the trick but can't see any frequency response charts for it on the website

If only @Bill Fitzmaurice was a member around here!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gamble said:

I wonder is it lacking low end or does it just have more of everything else? That seems to be a common misconception around FRFR-style cabs...

8 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

I wonder is it lacking low end or does it just have more of everything else? That seems to be a common misconception around FRFR-style cabs...

Yep when I had my Barefaced cabs I found that the bass on the amp was set higher as they were far flatter/neutral in voicing, whereas many other manufacturers seem to voice their cabs with a bias towards the lows.

You cant go cheap loud light and great at the same time.

If you really need to deal with that deep a low end you need physically big too.

I'd recommend a Barefaced Big Twin gen 3. Yes its what I've use, but I also have 2 FR800s and a Big Baby, and they are all amazing (even for the price), but for serious deepness you will not find a better cab than the Big Twin in my experience - truest low B I've heard and I have no doubt they will handle even deeper better than anything else.

2 Big Babies or 2 BFR800s gets really close though if you want that form factor.

One of these days I'm going to run the whole lot up just to tilt the earth off its axis  :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I would think 'budget conscious' rules out Barefaced and many other options. The OP wants us to be imaginative on his behalf, not tell him what he can't afford.

You cant get light, great, deep, loud and cheap.

Its not about imaginative, its about realistic.....
So he either compromises on one or more criteria or he saves up.

Many years of bitter experience lead me to that conclusion, I am definitely not alone there :), best of luck breaking the rule.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I would think 'budget conscious' rules out Barefaced and many other options. The OP wants us to be imaginative on his behalf, not tell him what he can't afford.

The original poster says that he's "budget conscious" but also "tempted to try and find a pair of Markbass 104 HFs", which suggests the budget is £1600.  If so, either two Big Baby 2 or one Big Twin 2 are within budget.

18 hours ago, Gamble said:

The other consideration is going with a pair of cabs or a single lightweight cab I can run with stereo inputs, as I'm looking to start using my synth as well as my bass through the same amp

I'm not sure you need stereo inputs on the cab to run a synth and a bass guitar from the same amp?  Although I might have not understood what you mean.

1 hour ago, 51m0n said:

You cant go cheap loud light and great at the same time.

So true. In cycling, there's an expression - "light, strong, cheap. Pick any two". Building yourself helps, but even then, a few kappalites or equivalent, plus a proper cab or two to mount them in, won't be cheap. Any lightweight head with sufficient power won't be cheap, either, even used. The most economical way to lighten the load is probably to use ones existing head/amplification (unless it's a SVT) and build some lightweight cabs. Even the heaviest head won't weigh anything like as much as an old school cab.

1 hour ago, 51m0n said:

My time is definitely not cheap. YMMV. 

For some people, building things is a hobby. Like listening to music. However, it doesn't make sense if you're going to bill yourself by the hour. Do you cook? How much do you charge yourself for getting up in the morning? xD

Spoiler