Why become a member? ×

Floor monitor

KingPrawn

Best monitor for a bass is pretty much always a bass amp.  Always remember that yer average monitor system is not exactly set up to allow a strange/additional monitor to be added & most monitor engineers will not be falling over themselves to   oblige unless you are the ones paying them.

IF you are playing with decent side fills they are usually up to the job anyway.  I would still be looking at a smallish combo you can point directly at your head, preferably up off the floor. I just bought a quiklok amp stand for mine.

Another big issue is whether your monitor is passive or powered. Alot of venues have passive monitors... so turning up with a powered monitor could be a bit of an issue. So to get around this you are looking at getting a passive monitor and a separate power amp should you need it... like a bass amp and a bass cab. The FRFR story thread will give you some ideas... but ultimately, you still need to have some knowledge of what you are dealing with. A monitor that you can use as a bass amp and put the rest of the band through... well, for me, that's preferable, you've just got to sort out what your real requirements are.

7 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

A monitor that you can use as a bass amp and put the rest of the band through... well, for me, that's preferable, you've just got to sort out what your real requirements are.

Your right EBS freak. One of the QSC speakers on the FRFR thread has two inputs. And Di out. I’m thinking bass bone > QSC then Di to desk. Then Aux from desk to 2nd input for general mix? 

• Like 1

I've recently sold by Barefaced cabs for this reason, however the best solution for me has been to invest in a pre-loved Super Compact, which is small light and coupled with a small class D amp Bingo!

My set up is now bass into mini pedal board > Radial Bass Stagebug DI > signal to PA and also to "monitor" so I can tweak what I hear without affecting the front of house set up.

7 hours ago, ead said:

I've recently sold by Barefaced cabs for this reason, however the best solution for me has been to invest in a pre-loved Super Compact, which is small light and coupled with a small class D amp Bingo!

My set up is now bass into mini pedal board > Radial Bass Stagebug DI > signal to PA and also to "monitor" so I can tweak what I hear without affecting the front of house set up.

Cheers for this ead

The pic below shows the DI connections.  So once the signal get to the INPUT socket I take a straight feed from the THRU jack back to my amp/cab monitor and the OUTPUT XLR goes to the desk etc.

Hope that helps.

image.png.4cde6482d12c0e4696babe772eb7661c.png