Why become a member? ×

Stenback 5 Bass - Blood Red - SOLD
£5300

mrbassman_de

I am selling my unique Stenback 5 bass - the only one existing in custom colour Blood Red - besides the only 4-stringer in that colour.

Stenback basses are well known in the bass world since Paul Turner from Jamiroquai started to use them as his main basses. Videos from him or from other players playing Stenbacks are avalable on YT.

This bass is from 2015 and - besides very few signs of wear - in like new condition. Action is low, output is strong, the bass responds fast and sounds superb ! There is a video on YT where Paul Sips from Bassmatters in Nimwegen is playing exactly this bass.

Tom Stenback has implemented some very nice specials on his basses, like the curved pickups following the board radius - for an even string output. Or the magnetic backplate for a quick access to the electrics. The bass weighs sensational 3.8 kg. The neck feels really smooth. In the neck there are Graphite inlays to make it stiffer. The bass has a 34" scale and passive (JB-like) electronics, but with lots of space in the cavity to add an active preamp if desired. I never felt there is a pre required for this bass. Finish is Nitro.

A fantastic bass especially for Fender lovers - so why am I considering to part with it ? That's simple - Usually I play 18mm string spacing, maximum would be 19mm on 5ers or sixers. But I do not feel comfortable with  20mm like on this 5-string bass. On a Fender 4 ... OK. But not on 5 or 6 stringers. According to Tom a 20mm spacing supports a better string decoupling and as Fenders have 20mm too he felt this is the way to go. I tried to become familiar with it but I always return to narrower spacings. That's why it gets less attention than it deserves.

Tom has stopped to accept orders in 2017 because his order book is full for years - there is no waiting list. So this is one chance to get one anyway.

The bass comes with the original Harvest bag in like new condition. I am asking 6100 Euro (currently 5300 GBP or 7300 USD) plus shipping from Duesseldorf/Germany. That is a lot of money for a JB derivate, but >1000 Euro less than new, IF they would be available for money at all.

And Tom stated he will use only black and white finishes in future. So probably this bass keeps to be unique forever. 

SOLD

Edited by mrbassman_de
  • Like 1

Holy heck, I have had the pleasure to try a Stenback. Yes, expensive but besides the tuners literally everything is made in-house and the Stenback I played put literally any other passive JB I have ever tried to shame. For the 1st time I got why you would spend so much on a bass. They really are that good.

GLWTS!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HazBeen said:

Holy heck, I have had the pleasure to try a Stenback. Yes, expensive but besides the tuners literally everything is made in-house and the Stenback I played put literally any other passive JB I have ever tried to shame. For the 1st time I got why you would spend so much on a bass. They really are that good.

GLWTS!

You're just making it worse, HazBeen! :facepalm: