Why become a member? ×

NBD '86 Peavey Foundation

luckman67

I know I said back in Jan '15 when I bought my new Am.Std Precision & matching Rumble 200 combo, I was done buying basses until with help from kodiakblair this Peavey beauty came into my possession. It is a 1986 Peavey Foundation bass Made in U.S.A  which is in VGC for a bass that is 32 years old, it is in black & rosewood with a matching headstock with OHSC, and fitted with a series/parallel switch. And it cost me less with delivery  than a brand new Squier VM Jazz bass :biggrin:. Kodiakblair put me in touch with the owner who had it for sale in December & luckily it hadn't sold emails were sent and phone calls exchanged, his name is Dave and he was gentleman to deal with & we chatted about all this bass & he is a member here even though I don't know his username.

The deal was done on the Monday and it was delivered to my work address on Wednesday morning, well and truly boxed up and protected, here are some of the pictures that Dave took of the bass and sent to me. I have always had a soft spot for Peavey's since my Dad bought me a T-40 for my 21st which was stolen a few years later. My Dad passed away this January so I wanted another Peavey bass I haven't got the funds for a T-40 at the moment, but I'm going to start saving for one.  

20180219_104457[1][2469].jpg

20180219_104538.jpg

20180219_104429.jpg

20180219_104713.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, dave.c said:

Glad you like it Shawn! The switch changes the pickup wiring from standard (parallel) in the up position, where each pickup has it's own volume control before going seperately to the tone and output jack (like a Jazz Bass) to series wiring in the down position where the output of one pickup goes to the second pickup like one humbucker with coils a long way apart! in which case as they act as one pickup only the neck volume control works.

I love it Dave it feels like a more expensive bass and the neck is so well made, and feels great in your hand. I tried out the switch through my Rumble 200 combo what a difference it makes, when you flick that switch down. I doubt now I'll keep the '92 Foundation as this one ticks every box.

Edited by luckman67

49 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

Sweet bass, those old foundations are excellent.

They are indeed I feel very lucky getting one from the 80's which I honestly believe was Peavey's best era, mainly for the wide range of basses (in our case) that were available. You had Foundation Dynsbass .Fury, Patriot  to name a few & all Made in the U.S.A, and they didn't cost a fortune & I always liked their pointy headstock. I own a Foundation from 1992 and even though it has the Super Ferrite pickups the overall build quality and look for me is not as good as it was in the 80's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassmachine2112 said:

Hiho Foundations are excellent. I have 2 ,an 84 sunburnt and ab 83 bodied one with a 92 neck in black.Absolutely fantastic to play very well built and the sound .Well us in the know know

Indeed we do :D there was a 84 Foundation body on eBay recently, I was toying with the idea of buying it and putting my 92 neck and pickups and bridge on it.  

THREAD DIVERT ALERT!

Isn't 'FOUNDATION' a wonderful word to describe all things Bass! 

I remember during my youthful years in the late 60's VOX produced a range of bass amps and cabs called Foundation. A bassist hero of mine at the time used a Vox Foundation amp and cab. The amp was 100w (?) and the cab was an open back 1x18. My hero was such a heavy percussive bassman that he removed the top and bottom rear panels of the cab and used to hammer 6 ins nails to nail the cab  to the stage floor to stop the thing from bouncing around and (sometimes) OFF the stage.

Oh happy days !

Those dark times before HPFs!!

Enjoy your new bass Shaun!

• Like 1

Agreed the 80's necks are thinner than the 90's versions but I do like the feel of the 92 neck,,though I prefer the body & neck/headstock styling from the 80's more. But for me personally the Super Ferrite pickups in either the 80's or early 90's versions give the Foundation it's signature sound. I like the crude way Peavey shielded the cavity & back of the cover here is the insides of my 86 Foundation with the series/parallel mod.  

20180223_185749.jpg