Why become a member? ×

Frustrating

Yank

On 04/03/2018 at 06:40, Bolo said:

What setting are we on about? Folksongs in the pub? Weddings and function where punters need to show their strictly skills? Progrock in small to medium venues? Musical numbers? Thrash Metal?

Sometimes (quite a lot I've noticed) we forget that we all have a different frame of reference.

Most bands I know rehearse their songs the way they need to be played on the night.

On the money. If you are playing for the music for dancing audience  smack on. I used to be one of them when I as a kid. Nowadays I play for people sitting down and usually drinking beer., with occasional forays into Dad dancing or the girls strutting their stuff fairly randomly to whatever speed we are playing the song at.  And I forgot to add I have  never managed to get my guys to stand still long enough for a rehearsal.  mrTcat there's already a fair few snippets of me on youtube. I suppose I should add that there IS a fair variation in both tempo and style on them too.

If you can find "Never make your move too soon" you will see me doing it as both a slow  meringue style beat and a medium fast jump blues.

Look for Skivin Ivan & the Slackers or The Ivan Carling Experience or Ivan Carling & friends.

dave_bass5 : I don't do "and you're one too"  "no I'm not"  "yes you are" "my gang will get you at playtime" any more.

21 minutes ago, ivansc said:

there's already a fair few snippets of me on youtube.

Look for Skivin Ivan & the Slackers or The Ivan Carling Experience or Ivan Carling & friends.

Really ?   Why not try a search

10 hours ago, ivansc said:

...there's already a fair few snippets of me on youtube...

<snip>

...Look for Skivin Ivan & the Slackers or The Ivan Carling Experience or Ivan Carling & friends.

Done that.  Not doing it again if this is all I get:

YTDaftness.png.ea692d1817673f86a3b3e88299478d37.png

YTDaftness1.png.17352a14d6b1e667e5168abafa95a016.png

YTDaftness2.png.4e0d5d6f40172c39553497a8e2e2819c.png

• Like 1

On 27/02/2018 at 08:54, oldbass said:

This is an apt thread.

We're curently trying to nail the speeded up bit on 'Come On Eileen'...yes I know but it was a majority decision etc ( I just play the notes ha), but can the drummer get it?..not a chance. Overall it actually sounds pretty good but if he cant do it then it goes in the bin.

We're currently auditioning for a new drummer and chose this song as a test to see how they got on with the bit where it speeds up and every single drummer plays if completely differently. I've found that as long as the band can follow the drums then it doesn't really matter where the drummer speeds it up as long as the tempo is right at the point before it goes back to the chorus