Why become a member? ×

Inexpensive flatwounds

TheGreek

This thread is great.

I stopped using Fender Flats cos they got a bit pricey, and I couldn't hear the difference between them and rounds with the tone rolled down.

Have just got an acoustic I'm defretting (for close to nothing) so wanted some cheap flats to sling on it.

Will head to ebay, thanks all.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the cheap and cheerful Adagio or Olympia flats on a short scale? It doesn't look as though either are available in an off the shelf short scale length so I wondered if a full scale set would fit without too much fuss? I appreciate that there are other brand short scale flats available but I can't find any under around £35 which is more than I want to drop on bit of a whim! 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Loaded my Precision with the Adagios yesterday; transformed it. Really lovely tone. Naturally I've no idea about longevity but I'll keep you all in the loop

I’ve had a set on one of my jb’s which I probably only play about twice a week ,for over 2 years , i would say they have mellowed very slightly but that suits me , imo well worth the money 👍

• Like 2

Used these strings at two rehearsals this week, different bands, same result. Fantastic tone, guitarist even said it was the best bass sound he'd heard from me! 

I know he's only a guitarist so I shouldn't take any notice but he's been around a while so...

• 2 years later...

Thread Resurection... Just ordered a set of the Adagio Flats... £13 is the Magic Number for an offer.

Not sure whether to try 'em on the PJ GSR200 instead of the rounds... or on the SR600 instead of the Roto Solo Compressions?

Cheap way of trying something new...

• Like 1

Nice thread 🙂

About 10 years ago I tried a set of Fender flats - went to a couple of rehearsals and changed back to my usual rounds.  I just couldn't get on with the feel or sound, but I know now that I didn't really give them enough chance.

About this time last year I thought I'd try again with Fender flats so put some on one of my P and stuck with it for a few rehearsals.  After they've been broken in they feel and sound just as I hoped they would, so I'm sticking with Fenders for my flats from now on - and they're great value too imho.  I also put a set of Fenders on my old 4001 and to my ears it sounds wonderful.

• Like 2

I also gave the fender flats a good go , they sounded fine but I couldn’t get on the tension which was a bit high for me, they were on my 70s RI jazz which I sold to a friend about 6 weeks ago, he actually called me a week later and said how much he liked the strings 🙂

• Like 3

I had Fender flats on my last 34” scale bass and they cost £20 I think, off eBay. The tension might be a bit much for some folks but I thought they were nice to play and they recorded well. They broke in really quickly too.

I had a set of Picato flats on a vintage Commodore bass that were great for the money (less than £15) but for short scale I’d go with La Bella or D’Addario chromes again, they’ve always been great. And sometimes you can get deals on them online. Think my last set of Chromes were £22 with an eBay voucher? Not bad, considering they’re still on the bass.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I also gave the fender flats a good go , they sounded fine but I couldn’t get on the tension which was a bit high for me

I think that's most probably why I didn't take to them first time around, I was expecting them to feel about the same tension as my rounds,  Once I stayed with them second time I suppose I knew what to expect and I don't find them too tight at all now.

• Like 1

Adagio Flats turned up today... Just put em on my Ibby GSR200, Thought best to try em on that with the reverse P n J pickups.

Wow... Never tried flats before... so slick, so smooth, so warm n softer sounding, and thats just a quick noodle unplugged. Will give em a go with a headphone amp later.

@ £13 May have to get another set for the SR600... (I did and are now fitted...)

Like Black 'n White TV for the ears!

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Adagio Flats turned up today... Just put em on my Ibby GSR200, Thought best to try em on that with the reverse P n J pickups.

Wow... Never tried flats before... so slick, so smooth, so warm n softer sounding, and thats just a quick noodle unplugged. Will give em a go with a headphone amp later.

@ £13 May have to get another set for the SR600...

Like Black 'n White TV for the ears!

Love that description!

20 minutes ago, uncle psychosis said:

Anyone enlighten me as to whether the Adagio flats have silks / tapers at the bridge end?

My g&l bridge needs no silk, no taper (I think...) 

Yeah they do have silks , red I think, I can check when I get home if it’s any use 🙂

just changed my rounds on my fretless squier vmJ to rotosound flats - bit more tensions and tweak the truss but tone is ok ...

BUT ...

once you bought and used a set of la bella's, frankly you'd be rather daft to want to play anything else for tone and tension - ok so im daft but in my defence the rotosound flats were just an experiment and to support homegrown manufacturers but in future id rather wait/save up and get the LB's than buy a cheap set