Why become a member? ×

Beginners' songs.

Deeper and down

I've always had an ear for a good bass line in that it's what has drawn me to most songs in the first place.

However, as a late starter to learning to play bass (I'm 60) I'm finding that the stuff that I like,  by its very nature is proving more than a bit tricky to attempt.  My question therefore is what in your considered opinions are relatively easy songs to have a crack at for a beginner.   So far,  to give you an idea I've attempted with varying degrees of success and with ambition outstripping ability;    Talk Talk's 'It's My Life' .  Steely Dan's 'Rikki'.  'Hey Joe' etc...

Wanted.  Good songs. Simple bass lines.   Thanks.

5 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

What sort of music do you want to play? Loads of easy ones out there, she sells sanctuary, (the cult), teenage kicks, louie louie, with or without you, bad moon rising, dakota (stereophonics), pretty much any oasis, to name a few.

Well that's a few to be going on with, thanks!   All the ones you've mentioned are the right genre for me.   :D  

@Deeper and down

i recommend Folsom Prison Blues as its dead easy and you can jazz it up - I add some extra notes every fourth bar  to make a "clack" effect like railroad tracks. Its the first song I played live and the crowd went mental. #satisfying

Also Wicked Game - Chris Isaak - I have a homemade tab for this if it will help/.