Why become a member? ×

Replace or fix broken tuning machine

OCroft (The Nit)

Have you tried contacting Squier? Customer services may be happy to send put a part which costs them very little to preserve their reputation.

I had a problem with a Colgate Electric toothbrush - they sent me a new toothbrush and £30 in vouchers. I'm happy to tell people - so are they.

Definitely ask Squier first - it only costs an email!

wanted ad has to be second - someone has got to have upgraded some of these in the past, and has a full set of 4 lying around doing nothing. 

other options.... There's one on ebay for £5.99, plus £2 postage, or a full used set of them for £16 (or best offer). 

Not sure what they're made of, probably a cheap steel, but the zinc plating makes it hard to weld it back on, so I would try something like silver soldering it, if you can find someone with the knowledge and kit (if you could let us know whereabouts you live, local folks might offer to help!)

10 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Have you tried contacting Squier? Customer services may be happy to send put a part which costs them very little to preserve their reputation.

I had a problem with a Colgate Electric toothbrush - they sent me a new toothbrush and £30 in vouchers. I'm happy to tell people - so are they.

I will try that now, it’s worth a shot isn’t it

Edited by OCroft (The Nit)

2 hours ago, stevel said:

Definitely ask Squier first - it only costs an email!

wanted ad has to be second - someone has got to have upgraded some of these in the past, and has a full set of 4 lying around doing nothing. 

other options.... There's one on ebay for £5.99, plus £2 postage, or a full used set of them for £16 (or best offer). 

Not sure what they're made of, probably a cheap steel, but the zinc plating makes it hard to weld it back on, so I would try something like silver soldering it, if you can find someone with the knowledge and kit (if you could let us know whereabouts you live, local folks might offer to help!)

I couldn’t find many options that fit my bass on eBay but I’ll have another look. And I live in Liverpool if anyone knows anybody that could help.

Is it really broken? From the pic looks like it can be inserted back in the grove and have the tuning axis tightened with some pliers. that hole in the peg seems like it would fit in some kind of tag in the grove to prevent it from slipping out. Can you post more pics of the back of the headstock? It'll be easier to link you to a link on e-bay if we know what type of tunning peg you have there.

10 hours ago, Ghost_Bass said:

Is it really broken? From the pic looks like it can be inserted back in the grove and have the tuning axis tightened with some pliers. that hole in the peg seems like it would fit in some kind of tag in the grove to prevent it from slipping out. Can you post more pics of the back of the headstock? It'll be easier to link you to a link on e-bay if we know what type of tunning peg you have there.

Here’s some other photos and tbf I can still put the peg in but it’s loose and vibrates a lot when playing, that’s why I was checking what I should do

818ADC37-CD50-47EA-BBA2-9038C0210983.jpeg

556836BA-19C3-43EE-B0A9-658EA486F5C9.jpeg

5CD21678-2BEE-4C2E-8070-A413D18D1C64.jpeg

I've had exactly the same problem with a tuner and I fixed it by just gluing it back in with an epoxy glue.

If you use something like Araldite, ie a 2-pack adhesive, and just smear some on the part that has come away, (looks like a handy channel for guidance), slide back into the slot and then remove any residue.

Leave sufficient time to harden and job done. Mine never parted company again.

8 hours ago, BassBunny said:

I've had exactly the same problem with a tuner and I fixed it by just gluing it back in with an epoxy glue.

If you use something like Araldite, ie a 2-pack adhesive, and just smear some on the part that has come away, (looks like a handy channel for guidance), slide back into the slot and then remove any residue.

I've done exactly this as well.  Works a treat.

Frank.

8 hours ago, BassBunny said:

I’ll do that, thanks for the advice 

That looks to me like the plate has broken. If I'm right, there's no way epoxy will hold out.

Please measure the distance between centres of the holes and post these up here. I have a few spare odd tuners. Others here may have some too. We may be able to help you.

21 hours ago, Grangur said:

That looks to me like the plate has broken. If I'm right, there's no way epoxy will hold out.

Please measure the distance between centres of the holes and post these up here. I have a few spare odd tuners. Others here may have some too. We may be able to help you.

Looks like the elephant ear bit will  slot  back into the post so would be surprised if some epoxy would'nt hold it in place, as the twist forces are taken care of by the post. All the glue will do is stop it falling out.... but I could be wrong! Equally, agree I'm sure many of us have an odd tuner lying around.

4 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Looks like the elephant ear bit will  slot  back into the post so would be surprised if some epoxy would'nt hold it in place, as the twist forces are taken care of by the post. All the glue will do is stop it falling out.... but I could be wrong! Equally, agree I'm sure many of us have an odd tuner lying around.

Having looked again, I stand corrected

3 hours ago, converse320 said:

Silver solder would be a much better bet than epoxy I think, unless its made of some weird alloy.

That's not a bad idea, but who has access to silver solder?  I do have, but I doubt many others do, but Araldite is available to everyone and simple to use.

Frank.

4 hours ago, machinehead said:

That's not a bad idea, but who has access to silver solder?  I do have, but I doubt many others do, but Araldite is available to everyone and simple to use.

Frank.

JB Weld ? (It's American but likely available in UK as we have it at work)

20 hours ago, machinehead said:

Frank.

Find a friendly local metalworker?  I'd just be worried that if the araldite/jb weld etc fails, you're then stuck with parts covered in glue thats so hard to get off its basically scrap. 

TBH, it would probably be better to buy a single tuner if OP can find an exact match.  

On 28/02/2018 at 08:33, converse320 said:

Find a friendly local metalworker?  I'd just be worried that if the araldite/jb weld etc fails, you're then stuck with parts covered in glue thats so hard to get off its basically scrap. 

TBH, it would probably be better to buy a single tuner if OP can find an exact match.  

How on earth could the epoxy get anywhere near the rest of the bass to turn it on to scrap?