Why become a member? ×

Hello from South Africa

Ian Hinrichsen

My names Ian, and I live in Cape Town South Africa. I'm a drummer but I've been playing bass now for about 4,5 years - it just crept up on me, and all of a sudden I was desperate to learn to play bass - wierd. 

My 1st bass I bought was an Ibanez GSR205L (L for left handed) it's a Gio, not the greatest but it was ok for then. Then I bought an Ibanez SR605L, and a few days ago bought a 2nd hand SX PB 5 String. It has the P bass scratch plate but has jazz pups. I love it. It sounds and plays 10 x better than my Ibbys, it's also a lot heavier and bigger - i can now see how Fender get their "tone" - i think it's all in the body mass? 

Anyway, I love playing bass. I've never taken lessons, and learnt the hard way, by messing up a nerve in my elbow (I think) by trying to look cool and slinging my bass low, causing an unnatural curve in my wrist. Yeah, real dumb. One day, if I have time, I'll take lessons. 

I play in a cover band and we have a lot of fun and make good money too. 

I like listening to all types of music (well, almost) especially rock and metal, but, strangely enough don't like playing very heavy stuff. A guy I really admire is Roger Glover from Deep Purple, the bluesy, rock and roll type runs he plays are very inventive especially on the Machine Head Album and the other early stuff. I'm not really into listening to guys ripping up the fretboard, but I admire their talent. Billy Sheehan et al.