Why become a member? ×

NAD & TC BG250-208 head removal

Jimryan

Afternoon all,

It all started many moons ago.  My tax rebate had just come in and I wasn't finally in the position to buy the rig I wanted.  Nothing flash, just a nice and simple TC rig, the BH250, a BC212 and a BC210.  I loved it.  Perfect rig for me, enouh output, nice and light and I liked the sound.  For a few months I gigged it regularly with a funk/soul band a weekends, up until one rehearsal when the band fell apart and disbanded.  

After that I struggled to find a band I enjoyed playing in and decided to sell the 2x10.  It was surplus, so it went and I kept the head and the 2x12.  I started planning again but with a loud drummer and louder guitarists so I sold the BH250 and replaced it with the BH550.  Brilliant.

For the past few months thats been my gigging setup and it's worked.  Then a friends band got in touch about a dep and I helped out but found the 2x12 being a tad quiet with them and started thinking about going back to two cabs to get the most out of my head.  Originally I was looking at the Hartke Hydrive 112.  The switchable impedance was the selling point, but part of me wanted to stick with TC.  

Wait!  TC do a 2x8 with an extension socket.  That'll be perfect, nice and light, and small enough that the Mrs won't complain about it taking up space.  Anyway, last week I spotted one on eBay and got it for a pretty decent price (£140 shipped).  Whilst waiting for its arrival I started looking in to removing the head unit and just found loads of pages saying you can't without opening the head unit, it won't work, don't bother, etc, you get the picture.  Anyway, with little work on (and conveniently over delivery day) I thought I'd have a crack at it.  

First thing i did was set up as a full rig for a test run of bypassing the built in head (and to take a photo).  Next up, after seeing the thread on putting LEDs behind the mesh, it reminded me that I'd wanted to do it for ages.  These conveniently arrived a few days before so they went in.  After that, justify it to the Mrs.  As I shared in the current BG250-208 thread, I've now incorporated the 2x8 and my Roland street cube in to some kind of surround sound/stereo system using the aux in on them both (she loved it...and doesn't it look lovely with the LEDs in it).

Last up was the head removal.  Following on from the general consensus that the head unit needs to be opened up, I started inspecting that and realised that there's no way that the head is screwed on afterwards.  Looks like we're going in through the front then.  Mesh back off, driver popped out, and hit a wall.  Star security screws that have been filled in with resin.  Nothing some pliers and a screwdriver can't fix.  The star screws can be turned with a small precision screwdriver.  Driver back in.  Mesh back on.  Flip it over and the head is still in place...hmmmm.  Let's see if I can lever it...yep, there it is.  

So now my rig is a BH550 into a "BC208" into a BC212.  The speakon "fly-lead" out the back is remedied with a speakon straight coupler and the extension out is, well, the extension out.  You guys knew that though.

All I need now is more LEDs so the 2x12 matches the 2x8 and we're all good.  Oh, and now I've a surplus BH250...with no feet.

Cheers,

James

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

D82E6344-57F8-4C3A-A27B-8138958A53E2.jpeg

C07F91BF-E16B-4DD6-BD3B-915AEE24756A.jpeg

Edited by Jimryan
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...