Why become a member? ×

The Brits.

leschirons

23 minutes ago, mikel said:

Kendrick who??????

Same here, no idea, who is he ?

I don’t think any of his “songs” will be appearing on our bands set list 😀

Never mind, we can all look forward to the Spice Girls reunion and tour this year 🤪🤪

Edited by steantval

13 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

Thank you for all proving my point about how old and out of touch you are. I'll let you get back to your Ovaltine.

Who? Who? Bah. Bah.

So does that mean you'll not bother with your pointless criticism in future - pointless in that we aren't worth your youthful effort.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

So does that mean you'll not bother with your pointless criticism in future - pointless in that we aren't worth your youthful effort.

The59Sound does have a point though. There's something terminally sad about musicians (especially) being proud of their ignorance of modern music. Just like the old fart prog rockers when punk came along. It was a bad look then and it's still a bad look now.

You don't have to like new music. But please don't be revel in your lack of knowledge.

• Like 3

Its a fair point to say you cant really criticize until you know the acts in question etc. But its just a natural progression.

The problem i had with djing was the absolute lack of longevity in songs and artists. Literally everything from last year wont be tolerated this year and everything this year will be shunned next year.

There are some great tracks out there every year, but that longevity aspect is gone now.

Might be interesting to see brit winners from the last 5-10 years and see who fulfilled potential and who dosappeared etc.

1 hour ago, The59Sound said:

Thank you for all proving my point about how old and out of touch you are. I'll let you get back to your Ovaltine.

Who? Who? Bah. Bah.

I listen to a lot of the new artists, so don’t assume.

I have zero interest in the rap genre or anything near to it, old or new, that’s my choice.

51 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The59Sound does have a point though. There's something terminally sad about musicians (especially) being proud of their ignorance of modern music. Just like the old fart prog rockers when punk came along. It was a bad look then and it's still a bad look now.

You don't have to like new music. But please don't be revel in your lack of knowledge.

It's not that it's modern that I dislike it, it's because it's dreadful :D

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

For me it isn't pride, it's just stating that I haven't particularly kept up. I was never really one to follow the latest fashions but more of a statement than a celebration of my ignorance.

I would also suggest that whilst it is sad to see musicians being ignorant of modern music, there is something sadder when you get older people trying to be "down wiv da kids". My eldest was laughing at me with my wife the other day because I had said I liked an act but wouldn't buy it... his point was "who buys music these days? ANy response from me is simply me being comfortable with myself and where I am at this stage in life.

57 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I don't think I expressed an ignorance of new music. I expressed contempt for the ignorant assumption that we were ignorant. There is plenty of modern music I like.

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

I was too busy with the QVC Style channel on Freeview to take any notice of The BRITS.  Discussions about costume jewellery was a far more interesting  proposition:D

I learned a lot from QVC. I can now tell the difference between a 'shark bite hem' and a 'shark nibble hem':D

I like plenty of new music, and I will give most stuff a listen. I obviously like some genres more than others, that’s just human nature. I wasn’t saying I have a particular  dislike of Kendrick Lamar or his music, I do however find it strange that someone can have their opinion entirely dismissed because they’re too old, and because they are a nobody that won’t be remembered or talked about in 20 years! 

I'm glad I lived and spent my youth during the halycon years of pop music - 70's & 80's. But now? There's nothing left, we, the previous generations have done it all, and all the youth of today have is unintelligible rap, and grim ghastly grime all downloaded instantly to their smart phones. They plug in and listen to subliminal messages of gang culture and violence and their parents are totally oblivious to the nasty programing their kids are listening to. ¬¬

• Like 1

I think you'll find that every older generation has said more or less the same thing about 'modern' music, remember the Rolling Stones and the Sex pistols being labelled as a bad influence on Kids? I don't like a lot of modern stuff especially rap, but I avoid saying it's rubbish, it's just not my cup of tea

22 hours ago, Marvin said:

When Annie Lennox, Aretha Franklin, Jagger, Freddie Mercury, Morrisey, Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins) all sang you instantly knew it was them. And the bands had their own sound. Not anymore.

And you could leave your front door open. And the policemen looked older too. Eee, I remember when all this were trees. Is it time for my nap yet?  

All joking aside, I have to say I agree with you. Liz Fraser, my god what a spinetingling voice she had/has.
Ooh, get me, an older person daring to express an opinion eh. :whoopass: Perhaps I should belt up, seeing as I'll never be as famous as Hendrix Lemur.

• Like 1

I'm pretty open minded about music whenever it was made  but I really don't get the fuss and kudos heaped on Kendrick Lamarr.  I'm a big fan of the great era of hip hop - Eric B & Rakim, Wu Tang Clan, Public Enemy, NWA/Cube/Dre, Snoop, 2pac,  etc - but  Lamarr can't hold a candle to any of these. He might be the best of the current bunch of rappers but heaping praise on him is liking getting all worked up about Luton Town  because they're topping League 2.