Why become a member? ×

John Deacon Queen

la bam

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Musical exchanges in Birmingham had a huge section full of stuff like that with the metal neck, I think BigkRedX would have exploded with excitement, everyone else and their wallets walked past! Lol. 

There's often a reason why some things are rare. 

Woodroffe's in Birmingham used to stock a lot of Kramers, IIRC. Probably the same ones that finished up in Musical Exchange.

l.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Musical exchanges in Birmingham had a huge section full of stuff like that with the metal neck, I think BigkRedX would have exploded with excitement, everyone else and their wallets walked past! Lol. 

There's often a reason why some things are rare. 

Nothing wrong with a good Kramer aluminium-necked guitar or bass. I've owned two and the only reason I don't have them anymore is because I don't play 4-string basses enough to justify keeping them.

I never liked Queen, having lived through their heyday I always overlooked them. It’s only in my more mature years that I’ve realised what a great band and what incredible musicians they really were. A bunch of my mates went to see them at Wembley in 1986. I had the chance to go too but turned it down to go and see The Jesus and Mary Chain or someone... I wish I’d seen them.

On 2/23/2018 at 20:33, stingrayPete1977 said:

From what I recall they were very heavy, loads of neck dive and the aluminium was cold at first then hot. 

Have you actually played one?

Of the two I've owned the XKB-10 did have a tendency to neck-dive, but that was down to the body shape are than the neck, it would have been no better with a conventional wooden neck. The 450B was fine and weight-wise considerably lighter than the majority of Fender bases being produced at the same time. I've never had a problem myself from the temperature of the neck either in feel or tuning stability. Most of the back of the neck was taken up with wooden inserts and whole neck was lacquered.

Don't worry, he's obsessed with neckdive. ;-)

I've played several of the old metal-necked Kramers over the years, and really liked pretty much every one. Never gigged one so not sure about the supposed issues around the metal necks and tuning, but I always thought the necks felt great; I really liked the profile. They all sounded great too. Don't remember any of them being particularly heavy, unlike the one Travis Bean I played which weighed as much as a small house.