Why become a member? ×

John Deacon Queen

la bam

Hi all,

Im now in a Queen tribute band and as we are getting better and more well known im now starting to look at Johns basses for more authenticity.

I currently use yamaha bbs as i love them to bits. I can get any sound i like, theyre easy to play and sound great.

Ive previously had a usa precision years ago and the yamaha bbs neck width, neck material and finish and size suit me much better.

With there being a million fender precision models out there, are the any black fender p basses that are similar to the yamzha bb's? (or is that a daft question).

Also, it must have fender on the headstock, not a squier decal as the more clued up in the crowd etc will whinge and judge and defeats the purpose of trying to be a bit more authentic.

38 minutes ago, la bam said:

Cheers.

One thing i remember about my precision is it had a gloss sticky neck, whereas my bb is silky smooth which makes it easier to play.

I'll keep my eye out for some mx precisions.

just take the shine off with some wirewool , or the green/rough side of a pan scourer .

• Like 2

I have two Fender  Japan 75 reissues which I have changed to decent tort plates. The bass he used the most initially was a 67 with a transition logo and the reverse tuners. The 69 he had (and was eventually sprayed black) had the later logo. The two I have sport that later logo.

My BoRap bass is a 72 which has been stripped but also has a tort plate.

There is a fan site (I think it's called Deaky) list all his basses and their various developments. http://www.deaky.net/beat/bass1E.html

Some of their best songs are played on a Ray, anything other than a Ray for Another One Bites the Dust would be criminal, he always swapped over for that one even in his prolific P bass days. 

Great player, probably my favourite. I'd actually associate him with his natural (sanded off) P Bass more than anything. 

Edited by stingrayPete1977