Why become a member? ×

John Deacon Queen

la bam

9 hours ago, la bam said:

Whats the black one at the back with no logo? Looks great.

I put that together myself. Squier body (I think it was a Pro-Tone) and Might Mite neck. I made two and gave one to a nephew. The black one was donated to a local mental health charity.

I had started playing bass when Queen emerged (just) but Queen II gave me my sound and my playing style. 

2 hours ago, la bam said:

Has anyone any odea what type of bridge he is using on his black 86 bass?

Is it a standard precision one or an aftermarket?

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

To the best of my knowledge he just had his 1969 bass sprayed black, changed the tort plate for black and had all the hardware gold plated. I don't believe there are any actual hardware changes.

The bridge has been changed out for a Schaller 3D. I would be very surprised if the hardware had been gold plated. That doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense when premium hardware such as the Schaller keys that drop in are so good and cheaper in comparison.

5 minutes ago, dood said:

The bridge has been changed out for a Schaller 3D. I would be very surprised if the hardware had been gold plated. That doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense when premium hardware such as the Schaller keys that drop in are so good and cheaper in comparison.

That would certainly make sense if the bridge was changed for a Schaller.

See John, if you're lurking, this is another reason we all want to talk about your gear. No questions about Queen etc. PM me to arrange.

6 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

See John, if you're lurking, this is another reason we all want to talk about your gear. No questions about Queen etc. PM me to arrange.

Close up:

Blink and you'll miss it at 34.16

9 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

And Schaller strap locks too it seems!

Yeh! Well spotted Dood! I thought it didnt look quite like a standard bridge. More a thicker/fuller type.

Ive never heard of a schaller 3d bridge but will have a look.

Ive now nearly got my sound sorted: im using my markbass evo on a sunn valve amp  (it just sounds much nicer than tbe swr and ampeg models) setting and treble quite well backed off through a super compact. Thats what i have found fits our band well in a live setting. Nice and rich sound but well defined. Also added the built in compressore which clamps down nice and really evens out the sound as the lines are all over the fret board.

Almost the look now (instrument wise). Going to swap out my hardware for some gold aka the black bass above. 

Hadnt considered gold strap locks too. 

Hopefully its going to look class when done! 

Its been a real experience learning johns basslines. Every type of genre is in there at some stage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so notible differences:

1. its not got the Fender logo (because its not a Fender - theres no way i could experiment with £1500 worth of bass). I would have considered putting a decal on, but the finish on the V4 was that good and gloss varnish finished it would be a disaster to strip it all back.

2. the hardware isnt Fender and the bridge isnt a schaller 3d. Because im no expert i decided to get the V4 as it had good quality hardware as standard in chrome and had the exact same harware available in gold, so in theory it should be a straight swap over without having to re drill or glue any holes.

3. the scratchplate is 3 ply but it was impossible not to spray over the middle ply of white which would have given it that scratchplate outline.

4. just need the gold pot knobs and jack nut.

5. ive decided for the moment to leave the strap locks in chrome as i dont want to swap yet as in case they dont hold properly and i get a mid gig shock!

6. theres a slight rise at the bridge, and a small hum at high levels, but im going to get that looked at.

7. the string retainer needs either a longer screw or repositioning despite being a direct replacement, but should be a 2 minute job.

All in all the bass plus parts, paint etc came to around £260 - which is fantastic value.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, la bam said:

.......... and just looking at photos from 86 - where did i get the idea he had gold scratchplate screws from?! they look normal to me - but hey ho i like the gold now!! and it doesnt look as cluttered in real life.

Nice project, looks great. 

I’m interested to know what the problem with the black scratchplate was? I’m just about to buy one for my current project and they seem to be readily available on eBay, Amazon etc. Were you looking for something specific? 

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

6 minutes ago, PaulGibsonBass said:

Nice project, looks great. 

I’m interested to know what the problem with the black scratchplate was? I’m just about to buy one for my current project and they seem to be readily available on eBay, Amazon etc. Were you looking for something specific? 

yes, whether its to do with design trademarks or what i dont know, but every precision type scratchplate will not fit every precision type bass.

some wont fit over the control recess, some wont fit over the pick up spaces etc - and some will, but may need completely re screwing down as the screw holes are in the wrong place.

i couldnt find a replacement for the v4 anywhere. i contacted the manufacturer in the end (jhs) but the one they suggested definitely looked like it wouldnt fit. it had screw holes in different places and the pick up space looked much closer to the edge of the scratchplate than the existing one i had.

its definitely worth asking round round first if a replacement will fit your bass.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, la bam said:

yes, whether its to do with design trademarks or what i dont know, but every precision type scratchplate will not fit every precision type bass.

some wont fit over the control recess, some wont fit over the pick up spaces etc - and some will, but may need completely re screwing down as the screw holes are in the wrong place.

i couldnt find a replacement for the v4 anywhere. i contacted the manufacturer in the end (jhs) but the one they suggested definitely looked like it wouldnt fit. it had screw holes in different places and the pick up space looked much closer to the edge of the scratchplate than the existing one i had.

its definitely worth asking round round first if a replacement will fit your bass.

Thanks. Mine is for a new build so there aren’t any pre-existing holes to match up, hopefully whatever I get will fit, if not I might make my own.

• 3 weeks later...

I gigged with this last week

Sounded great. Really punchy.

There was a slight issue with humm noise, (not a problem during the gig though as it went when touching the strings) which after a bit of research i decided was a shielding issue.

So a auick impatient trip to b and q for some aluminium tape and unbelievably it works! All the hum has gone, and it isnt affected by winding up input, gain or master volume.

20180408_154426.jpg