Why become a member? ×

recent pickup purchase - advice ?

Geek99

I've bought some jazz bass pickups on ebay.

They have codes 048612 & 048613 underneath which I know are fender codes for the bobbins - they have "59" or "se" handwritten on in white (its a little unclear)

Standard spec for US jazz is allegedly

Neck 8.3 kohm  and  Bridge 7.8kOhm

they look fine visually

I used a multi-meter and measured at the soldered contacts 

neck 6.9 k Ohm 

bridge 7.57 k Ohm 

can anyone tell me what the effect of the resistances being reversed (ie relatively between the two positions) is ?

If I've measured wrongly please advise where I should correct my technique - I used the 20 kOhm range. 

thanks

It sounds like you are measuring correctly, you'll probably find the 6.9k may be a bit less output than the bridge, so - trial and error - it might work out ok depending on how you like to mix the pups.

OTOH  of course, it may be the wrong pick up, or even be short of a few windings!

Cheerz, John

Edited by KiOgon

I would normally expect the neck pickup to be slightly lower than the bridge.  The string vibrates more in the neck position (the closer you get to the end of the string, the less amplitude of vibration) so if you had pickups that were of equal output, the neck position would sound louder.  Use a lower output neck pickup (or higher output bridge pickup) to compensate.

Please correct me if I am barking up the wrong tree here.

I agree with @Bassalarky that usually, the bridge pickup would be higher resistance than the neck.

Interestingly, looking at the Fender website, for their modern 'Vintage Noiseless' Jazz sets, the bridge is, indeed, the higher value. 

But the 'Pure Vintage '74' has the neck higher than the bridge.

I get the impression from the decriptions on their marketing blurb, that the Pure Vintage is specifically trying to get warm low end and high mid range, whereas the Vintage Noiseless is trying to tame that mid end a bit. 

All of the Seymour Duncan sets seem to have the bridge higher so, unless you are pitching for a very specific effect, then I would have thought the resistances you quote are very much in the 'normal' ranges and should sound fine.

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I agree with @Bassalarky that usually, the bridge pickup would be higher resistance than the neck.

Interestingly, looking at the Fender website, for their modern 'Vintage Noiseless' Jazz sets, the bridge is, indeed, the higher value. 

But the 'Pure Vintage '74' has the neck higher than the bridge.

I get the impression from the decriptions on their marketing blurb, that the Pure Vintage is specifically trying to get warm low end and high mid range, whereas the Vintage Noiseless is trying to tame that mid end a bit. 

All of the Seymour Duncan sets seem to have the bridge higher so, unless you are pitching for a very specific effect, then I would have thought the resistances you quote are very much in the 'normal' ranges and should sound fine.

Fender definitely have those Pure Vintage 74 values the wrong way round on their website, bridge is the higher value. Look at Nordy, Bare Knuckle, etc. 70s specs for comparison...