Why become a member? ×

Old vs New Barefaced cabs

AidanB

On 21/02/2018 at 09:40, AidanB said:

Can anyone tell me if there is a marked difference in sound quality between the new generation and the older Barefaced cabs?

14 hours ago, molan said:

Question was about differences between older and newer cabs and they've gone up in price so 'cost' was both an accurate and appropriate response :)

Hmmmmm.... 

There is about to be a price rise, but the cost hasn't risen much in quite a while. The Gen 2 Big Baby T was last priced at £750 new, the BB2 is currently £715, so cheaper than the previous version(no separate mid drive and Xover). The Gen 2 Compact was £550 and the new Super Compact is £569, so a small rise in overall cost. The Midget T and Super Midget are still both about the same price.

I also use a Greenboy cab, I use what I think is best for my needs, loads of great speakers out there.

Edited by MOSCOWBASS

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 13:47, casapete said:

Agree with Paul S - I have a gen1 Compact and it's a brilliant thing. I was one of the original guys who had the demo cab

which Alex sent around the country, and was / still am blown away with it's quality of sound. If the rest of the range are

as good or better it's really a no-brainer, but as cetera says , try before you buy as your personal preferences may not be

met. Couldn't see why though ^_^

( Disclaimer - I am currently saving up for a BF Super Compact....)

I'm in the definitely try before buying camp.  I bought a G1 Compact and really couldn't get on with it (and I really tried).  It sempt very sensitive to placement and a bit on the wooly side.  It moved me down the 2 x 12'' cab route (MB NY121).  I'll definitely give the newer 12'' versions a go some time down the line though.

Thanks again for the helpful replies and for the entertaining banter lol. :drinks:

FWIW cost is an issue for many people. I do get the argument that spending on quality often saves money in the long run, also the argument that some more expensive single cabs are more effective than a pair of cheaper cabs that together add up to the same as the single. However, sometimes you just don't have the cash so you have to get creative about finding a solution. What I appreciate massively here at Basschat is the brilliant market place for second hand gear, also the amazing knowledge and responsiveness here in the forums.

As for me, being quite a new bass convert, I'm thinking it's probably safer to try out gear second hand until I really get to know the sound I'm looking for. I am going to hopefully get along to LBS and have a listen to some of the lovely cabs I've heard so much about.

Very entertaining thread gents, almost as much fun as posting anything complimentary about Apple... 

I have a Big Twin T, it's a monster for the kind of work I do and I'm very happy with it, when I played different music my old Ampeg 8x10 was brilliant but needed help and a big car to move about, it's always going to come down to choices for the kind of music being played.

I tried the BT3 and I liked it a lot, but not to the point that I was tempted to shift the older one on, if anything the separate midrange unit gives the older cab an aggression the new Gen 3 cab lacks (but only marginally). Others have noted the Gen 3 cabs are very clean and respond to the amp/pre-amp choice very well.

In the end these are just tools, I find I'm much less invested in a cab as I am in a guitar. Now I'm not playing live I may well shift the cab and amp on and get something else in for recording, but again I have a range of systems I can use for recording... Find something that works for you, use it till you find something better and agree that not everyone needs the same thing.

• Like 1

I bought a G1 compact secondhand. It is very loud and I really like the sound but it is difficult to hear it when you're close to it (I can feel my trousers flapping so I know it's pumping out the bass alright).

Occasionally, other bass players will get up on stage, and play though my gear, and the sound out front is excellent.

I've also noticed that, in any recordings made on mobile phones (with their iffy mics), the bass always sounds punchy and clear. 

This is an interesting thread as I'm thinking of buying a Super Compact.  I was hoping they're an improvement on the original G1 compact, as far as clarity (especially while standing close to your cab) is concerned.

Edited by gjones