Why become a member? ×

Old vs New Barefaced cabs

AidanB

Well, the original question was whether there was much of a difference between old and new BF models.  Some people were in a position to advise, having owned both.  OP wasn't asking whether he should get a BF cab or not.  It is like someone asking whether he should get a Fender Jazz or Precision and getting the reply 'Fender are stinky poo, buy an Ibanez'.  I never have understood the negativity towards the brand.

1 minute ago, Paul S said:

Well, the original question was whether there was much of a difference between old and new BF models.  Some people were in a position to advise, having owned both.  OP wasn't asking whether he should get a BF cab or not.  It is like someone asking whether he should get a Fender Jazz or Precision and getting the reply 'Fender are stinky poo, buy an Ibanez'.  I never have understood the negativity towards the brand.

I don't think there is negativity, just statements on what has been witnessed... which are then taken as negative... usually by people that have bought.

There's negative comments made all sorts of brands on here (Ashdown most recent)... but people seem to exhibit big amounts of butt hurt when it comes to comments being made about Barefaced. I dunno. Go figure.

22 hours ago, JPJ said:

IWhen Alex started, his mantra was to be different from the main stream box shifters, and he talked a lot about three-way crossovers and separate mid-range drivers, but the current range appears to be lacking these ideas?

To expand briefly on my much-maligned laconic comment, I would just explain that the cost of producing a 3-way  loudspeaker system with a high quality midrange driver and HF unit is much higher than the configuration of a single or twin driver with an optional small tweeter favoured by Barefaced and many others. Although it's fairly obvious that the drive units in a 3-way system cost more, many people don't appreciate that the crossover in a system like some of the early Barefaced models and the current Fearful range is a very high-cost item - not to mention quite difficult to design properly.

Edited by stevie
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I don't think there is negativity, just statements on what has been witnessed... which are then taken as negative... usually by people that have bought.

There's negative comments made all sorts of brands on here (Ashdown most recent)... but people seem to exhibit big amounts of butt hurt when it comes to comments being made about Barefaced. I dunno. Go figure.

It is more about going off on one when it isn't germane to the question.  One or two people, like stevie, seem to appear out of nowhere as soon as there is a whiff of a Barefaced post in the air just to have a little jab whether it is relevant to the OP or not.   

3 minutes ago, Paul S said:

It is more about going off on one when it isn't germane to the question.  One or two people, like stevie, seem to appear out of nowhere as soon as there is a whiff of a Barefaced post in the air just to have a little jab whether it is relevant to the OP or not.   

True :D

5 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Rubbish.

I am not very vocal on cab choice but I do confess that I find the deluge of evangelical praise for Barefaced to be very tedious. Yes, they're light. Yes, they're efficient but then so are plenty of others. They are not the answer for everyone (they weren't for me, in case you thought I wasn't speaking from experience).

You could pretty much exchange the word Brexit for Barefaced at times!

13 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Doesn't seem it to me.  i would be curious to see what percentage of your total posts would be Barefaced bashing.  You seem to be on a crusade to 'debunk the barefaced myth' :)

Would you point out to me where in this thread that I bashed Barefaced?

15 minutes ago, stevie said:

Would you point out to me where in this thread that I bashed Barefaced?

My pleasure - your one word reply of 'cost' on page one.

11 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

So it is a myth?

In parenthesis, to make a point, which I have now made so that is me done. 

30 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Doesn't seem it to me.  i would be curious to see what percentage of your total posts would be Barefaced bashing.  You seem to be on a crusade to 'debunk the barefaced myth' :)

Thanks to the new site design, you can actually find this stuff out.:D For your information, three of my last 100 posts (excluding this thread) were in Bareface threads. Hardly a crusade, I'd say. And I've never bashed Barefaced. I occasionally disagree with some of the claims made by some of the more evangelical users, but I think that's allowed.

On 2/21/2018 at 09:40, AidanB said:

Can anyone tell me if there is a marked difference in sound quality between the new generation and the older Barefaced cabs?

For example: older 15" Compact vs new 12" Super Compact or older cab with tweeter vs BB2.

I'm trying to decide whether to go for a new one such as the BB2 or SC (for a lot of money for me) or pick up a s/h one for a more reasonable amount. What doesn't help is that I've tried out neither!! and I'm only going on what people say about how great they are. 

Thanks in advance...

When I bought a Midget back in 2011, it inspired a friend soon after to buy a Midget T.

He's recently bought a Super Compact, and reports more volume and better dispersion onstage.

However he's keeping both, partly because the tweeter in the old Midget differentiates it, and it suits DB, and because they make a potent pair, and 'cos the Gen 2 1x12 is still a hell of an item, considering. 

Which is nice to know because I'm poor and the old Midget's doing fine. 

1 hour ago, stevie said:

Nope. That was a factual statement in direct response to a query.

I must say that I totally understood the one word response.

Question was about differences between older and newer cabs and they've gone up in price so 'cost' was both an accurate and appropriate response :)