Why become a member? ×

Old vs New Barefaced cabs

AidanB

Can anyone tell me if there is a marked difference in sound quality between the new generation and the older Barefaced cabs?

For example: older 15" Compact vs new 12" Super Compact or older cab with tweeter vs BB2.

I'm trying to decide whether to go for a new one such as the BB2 or SC (for a lot of money for me) or pick up a s/h one for a more reasonable amount. What doesn't help is that I've tried out neither!! and I'm only going on what people say about how great they are. 

Thanks in advance...

I bought a G1 Compact pretty much as son as they came out.  Before that I used enormous Trace Elliot cabs that sounded nice but were too much for my poor old back.  The Compact was no only light but sounded immense - perhaps lacking a bit of top end clarity.  I added a G1 Midget, which by itself lacked bottom end, but together with the Compact made what I considered to be the perfect rig - the two cabs complimenting each other perfectly in that it was full spectrum, lightweight and a pretty transparent output.  I didn't see myself changing, tbh.

Then Alex brought out the Supercompact which was claimed to sound exactly like a combination of the Compact and Midget - the perfect one cab solution!.  I bought one and was blown away with just exactly how full range, lightweight, transparent, loud, small to load in and out etc. it is  For my particular requirements  the Supercompact represents such a perfect one cab solution that I, er, bought a second one. 

Simply because this one cab does what two cabs did before in a smaller single unit and with a touch more transparency I would say the Supercompact is a better cab to aim for - if the sound is what you are looking for.  Some people prefer the more coloured sound of the  Retro range.

I have a One10 for its extreme portability but haven't tried any of the rest of the range to compare.

• Thanks 1

The Gen3 are pretty much the flattest/most uncoloured sounding cabs I`ve used. When I recorded the sound I heard from the desk was virtually exactly what I got from my Gen 3 Big Twin. So really, choose the Gen 3 cab that fits best for size and practicality. for what it`s worth I was really impressed with the Super Midget - an amazing amount of sound from those little cabs.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AidanB said:

and I'm only going on what people say about how great they are. 

I wouldn't take that as reason to buy. You need to try them out first.....
I almost bought a Big Twin II but tried it side by side against my GenzBenz Neox212 and the Barefaced came out 2nd best. A good friend and respected bass journalist/reviewer was with me and also felt the same.... saved me silly money in an unnecessary outlay!

I don't say this to 'hate' on Barefaced - they're great. Just be sure to try any cab before buying as it may not be the step up you're looking for, or even need!

Edited by cetera
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, cetera said:

I almost bought a Big Twin II but tried it side by side against my GenzBenz Neox212 and the Barefaced came out 2nd best.

Interesting! I got one of those GB cabs after reading the reviews on here, but thought it wasn't a patch on my G2 Compacts that I owned immediately before and after that cab!

Just shows how different people's ears and experiences are. :D

Agree with Paul S - I have a gen1 Compact and it's a brilliant thing. I was one of the original guys who had the demo cab

which Alex sent around the country, and was / still am blown away with it's quality of sound. If the rest of the range are

as good or better it's really a no-brainer, but as cetera says , try before you buy as your personal preferences may not be

met. Couldn't see why though ^_^

( Disclaimer - I am currently saving up for a BF Super Compact....)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AidanB said:

Can anyone tell me if there is a marked difference in sound quality between the new generation and the older Barefaced cabs?

The gen1 and 2 cabs used off the shelf drivers, gen 3 introduced Alex's own driver design.

Look at the website. There is a description of the differences between the different generations of cabs. 

This should be a good pace to ask for user experiences, but for in depth questions, don't forget to ask Alex.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

I’m currently rocking a hen 1 Compact and am curious as to how much of a difference a midget  would make. I love the sound of the Compact but part of me thinks ‘what if...’

A lot. I found that the Compact on its own was very warm and rounded, the Midget on its own a bit barky and mid-focused, but together they just worked so well.

Had a Supertwelve T and now a Big twin 2. 

This G3 has a better building quality and finish and a serious front steel plate.

The sound is much open and progressive through all the frequencies. The HF filter seems tuned high meening the tweet had brightness and clarity instead of change the tonal response of the 12" as often on other trade.

On second hand to smooth the price, it's really a killer cab

• Thanks 1

I’m not a Barefaced hater, and I’ve always liked the look of the 2x12 and 2x15 variants for a single cab solution, but the price and lightweight construction has always put me off. When Alex started, his mantra was to be different from the main stream box shifters, and he talked a lot about three-way crossovers and separate mid-range drivers, but the current range appears to be lacking these ideas?

20 hours ago, JPJ said:

I’m not a Barefaced hater, and I’ve always liked the look of the 2x12 and 2x15 variants for a single cab solution, but the price and lightweight construction has always put me off. When Alex started, his mantra was to be different from the main stream box shifters, and he talked a lot about three-way crossovers and separate mid-range drivers, but the current range appears to be lacking these ideas?

Weight? The arrival of his own driver negated the need for a mid driver (3012lf doesn't get up there for mids) and helped make the BB2 etc lighter. I owned a Big Baby T and changed to a BB2. Less weight and a smaller package was attractive for me. Tonally I didn't notice a huge change, BB2 mids sound different/fuller and it was slightly louder ( same amp, bass and venue). Both cabs have a huge bottom end. There was also better quality handles and backplate for connections etc. I've not had any issues with any of the 4 Barefaced cabs I've owned.

21 hours ago, JPJ said:

Check the market place. It's hard to get exact apples for apples comparisons but BF are not the most expensive cabs.

Have a look at a BF cab and you'll see that lightweight doesn't mean fragile.

Maybe the improved frequency response gained by using his own drivers has changed the plan.

Just now, stevie said:

I didn't claim to be helping anyone. Just taking part in the discussion. Do you have a problem with that?

If all discussions involved nothing more than monosyllables, they wouldn't get very far. Besides, I was just taking part in the discussion. Do you have a problem with that? 

Just now, Conan said:

Until recently, I would have seen this as trolling another BF thread. But then the handle on my Compact started to deteriorate... :facepalm:

It's not a myth! You only have to look at pretty much every BF for sale on Facebook to see the evidence.