Why become a member? ×

In praise of Spectors

TheGreek

I was very much fancying a Euro 4 LX a few months back when the OP (aka The Greek) pointed me in the direction of a 1991 MIK NS-2A that was for sale on the forum.

I love it.  Fantastic build quality, wonderful neck and beautifully balanced - It’s a dream to play.  From the first day I got it, it felt instantly comfortable.  After years of playing Fender P’s and Stingrays I too was worried about the strap button over the 14 fret instead of the 12th, but I needn’t have worried.  Even switching between the Spector and a P at gigs now is fine.

If this is indicative of all Spectors, I’d highly recommend them.

716AF5C7-FDC9-438E-A287-254A42A68E0D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have one of these in the orange quilted maple finish with 2x soapbars - it's amazing that they can build a bass of this quality for as little as they do. It's comparable to the 4 and 5 string Euros I had at less than half the price. 

I would recommend them but I'd like to buy another so if you see one for sale, steer clear...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, thodrik said:

I would never buy one myself as the looks and ergonomics are not for me, but nearly time I hear a Spector in a live or rehearsal setting, the bass sounds great.

Based on your Avatar pic Spector do the standard Fender styles too like the Coda range one i posted earlier in this thread. Similar Fenderish headstock altho its not shown in the pic i posted. I really do quite fancy one of the deluxe versions. Think i'm talking myself into it. Big birthday coming up soon so who knows :D 

Edited by dmccombe7

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Based on your Avatar pic Spector do the standard Fender styles too like the Coda range one i posted earlier in this thread. Similar Fenderish headstock altho its not shown in the pic i posted. I really do quite fancy one of the deluxe versions. Think i'm talking myself into it. Big birthday coming up soon so who knows :D 

I know, but the Fender based Spector Coda line are a bit too ‘bling’ for me with so much flame going on. 

My ‘boutique’ Fender choice is always going to be a Sadowsky, or a Fender. The top line Spector basses are as good as anything else out there though. 

47 minutes ago, thodrik said:

...the Spector Coda line are a bit too ‘bling’ for me with so much flame going on...

I agree... I'd like to see some solid colours with all that abalone on the fretboard. That AND the flame is just too much.

So here are photos of my two...both budget NT models but both are serious players...great tone,  great balance and lovely necks. Build quality is amazing...if this is what they do on the budget range the top ones must be unbelievable....

Jooi does anybody know where the serial nos are on the older model?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, discreet said:

Good Lord. We will need to see a LOT of pics. Close-ups, jack-hole shots... the lot. :D

When I last sent you pics of my jack-hole you were less than complimentary.  It took me whole seconds to recover my dignity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

So here are photos of my two...both budget NT models but both are serious players...great tone,  great balance and lovely necks. Build quality is amazing...if this is what they do on the budget range the top ones must be unbelievable....

Jooi does anybody know where the serial nos are on the older model?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lovely NS-94; I had a natural one just the same, preceded by a trans red one.  I think I'm right in saying that the s/numbers were on stickers so may have fallen off by now.

Edited by ead

• 2 weeks later...

After what has felt like a while, but was in fact only a week and a bit here's the new acquisition courtesy of Freddie75 of this parish.  I've been on the hunt for a Spector to replace the original Legend I had 7 or so years ago and which has proved elusive to track down and buy back.

5ab7ed886eee7_Euro4LXA01.thumb.jpg.161cb8104b00d0efa632121286cead4e.jpg  5ab7ed913b86d_Euro4LXA02.thumb.jpg.cd517381ba3f9923b5ca59fc735d7bd1.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ead said:

After what has felt like a while, but was in fact only a week and a bit here's the new acquisition courtesy of Freddie75 of this parish.  I've been on the hunt for a Spector to replace the original Legend I had 7 or so years ago and which has proved elusive to track down and buy back.

5ab7ed886eee7_Euro4LXA01.thumb.jpg.161cb8104b00d0efa632121286cead4e.jpg  5ab7ed913b86d_Euro4LXA02.thumb.jpg.cd517381ba3f9923b5ca59fc735d7bd1.jpg

Love the finish on those and that to me is the ideal pick up configuration. Best of both worlds. 

Dave