Why become a member? ×

In praise of Spectors

TheGreek

52 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

No, it’s not a P 

3 minutes ago, discreet said:

No, it really isn't. The fact it has a P-like split pickup means nothing. I've played a lot of P Basses and a number of Spectors and they are almost, but not quite, completely unlike each other in every way. :)

In which case gents I've had a close shave with the devil but managed to stay on the side of the saints (or should that be the other way around? :) ) 

Anyway it's about time us Brits and fellow Europeans started nicking US concepts and designs, there's been PLENTY going the other way, believe me (e.g. the automobile, the TV, the jet engine, the computer, the internet, complaining about the weather...) So here's a toast to Warwick and Sandberg :) 

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

In which case gents I've had a close shave with the devil but managed to stay on the side of the saints (or should that be the other way around? :) )

Yes it's the other way round. :D Seriously though, every bass player should play a Spector at least once. Just to see what the fuss is about...

1 minute ago, discreet said:

Yes it's the other way round. :D Seriously though, every bass player should play a Spector at least once. Just to see what the fuss is about...

But if you've played a Warwick then sure you have already? Or else what was that court case all about?! :D

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

But if you've played a Warwick then sure you have already? Or else what was that court case all about?! :D

A Warwick is even less like a Spector than a P Bass is. Any similarities are entirely superficial. Think of a Warwick as a comfy pair of old slippers and a Spector as a Tesla Model S and you'll be getting somewhere. Warwicks only sell because they look a little bit like a proper bass. Otherwise they would have already been consigned to the dustbin of history. File under 'Rickenbacker'. :D

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@Al Krow aren’t you selling your Sandberg....

Yes indeed eventually (but no rush), just one-in one out to make way for the next 'best ever' thing. 

And my Warwick too. 

And I sold my Fender Jazz before it (which the Sandberg was better than, although to be fair they are two very different price point basses, so I would have been a bit pis*ed if it hadn't been! :) ) 

You've moved the occasional bass on in your time too, I believe?

GAS is s fine thing.

22 minutes ago, discreet said:

A Warwick is even less like a Spector than a P Bass is. Any similarities are entirely superficial. Think of a Warwick as a comfy pair of old slippers and a Spector as a Tesla Model S and you'll be getting somewhere. Warwicks only sell because they look a little bit like a proper bass. Otherwise they would have already been consigned to the dustbin of history. File under 'Rickenbacker'. :D

So the Court case was entirely without merit then? I guess they can't have it both ways! :D

Funnily enough my two 'right up there' favourite brands de jour (I guess more of a Lexus than a Tesla-we-have-no-idea-how-to-profitably-make-cars Model S) are actually neither US or German, but both Japanese :biggrin:

43 minutes ago, discreet said:

I've always wanted to get on with Spectors but never have. I've tried many, both USA (including a couple of the reclaimed Redwood basses, both of which weighed as much as a small castle) and Euros; even bought a Euro 5 once (it went back the same week), but I've aways found them incredibly disappointing, not least because I really haven't like the necks on all the ones I've played. I've much preferred most of the vintage Warwicks I've tried/owned, which generally have fabulous necks, whether thin (Thumb) or fat (Dolphin). Still, I live in hope, and it's all horses for courses, don't let me put anyone off. xD

5 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I've always wanted to get on with Spectors but never have. I've tried many, both USA (including a couple of the reclaimed Redwood basses, both of which weighed as much as a small castle) and Euros; even bought a Euro 5 once (it went back the same week), but I've aways found them incredibly disappointing, not least because I really haven't like the necks on all the ones I've played. I've much preferred most of the vintage Warwicks I've tried/owned, which generally have fabulous necks, whether thin (Thumb) or fat (Dolphin). Still, I live in hope, and it's all horses for courses, don't let me put anyone off. xD

It's whatever floats your boat. I only said all that stuff to annoy Al Krow. :D

33 minutes ago, discreet said:

It's whatever floats your boat. I only said all that stuff to annoy Al Krow. :D

Nah...you're just backtracking now that your statement has been shown to be a house of cards :D

Now did I ever mention Ibanez basses with gorgeous Nordstrand pups and a neck to die for...? 

I'm not really saying that European counterparts are better than the US models they have  emulated (aka ripped off!) but they can certainly hold their own with them in the case of both Warwick and Sandberg.

My personal current favourites (and we're all entitled to our opinions which, at the end of the day, is all that they are) happen to be Japanese :) 

Edited by Al Krow

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say enough about my Spector NS5 XL. Bought in 2000. Issue no.18.  In that time I've had one pot changed.  Had a Warwick Steamer before that. Heard they stole the design from Warwick and sought one out. Can't play anything else now.

20160523_152550.jpg

Edited by TrevorG
  • Like 3

I do love Spectors, they are superb instruments. I remember many years ago my brother had a Rebop 4 string, I think it was made of zebrano wood, with EMGs and it sounded great.

I'd always wanted Spector of my own, so after making the jump full time from guitar to bass last year, I snapped one up when I saw a shared advert for a Euro 5 string in poplar burl, owned by another member here.I had seen the advert and the photos checked out so I agreed to buy immediately and the deal was done. What an instrument. Ultimately, two things killed it for me and I sold it, it was 35" and I just prefer 34" and the tonepump preamp isn't the greatest thing - yes I know you can overcome it's shortcomings by adjusting the EQ on the amp, but I don't see why I can't have a mid control on the bass. I did have to turn the preamp output down to about 50%, as it was just too hot and would clip my amp like crazy on the full output as I received it. Once dialed back it had such an even, loud and authoritative tone, it would have been perfect for gospel.

The build quality was fantastic, the gloss finish was perfectly applied, it was like glass and was as good a finish as I've seen on any instrument at any price point.

If I could get a 34" Spector 5 with a Hazlab preamp I'd be very happy with that, but the majority of Spector 5s seem to be 35". 

Spector.jpg

Edited by Mastodon2

Unless you absolutely must have a new one, which have some minor differences (Aguilar pickups as an option, different tuners and black plastic knobs), they go cheap used. This one was bought and sold for £950 and apart from some mild discolouration on the bridge, which is par for the course for gold hardware, it was in fantastic condition. There was not a mark on it, the fretboard was perfectly cleaned and hydrated and the frets were perfect.

If only it had been 34", it could have been my #1.

12 hours ago, Mastodon2 said:

I do love Spectors, they are superb instruments. I remember many years ago my brother had a Rebop 4 string, I think it was made of zebrano wood, with EMGs and it sounded great.

I'd always wanted Spector of my own, so after making the jump full time from guitar to bass last year, I snapped one up when I saw a shared advert for a Euro 5 string in poplar burl, owned by another member here.I had seen the advert and the photos checked out so I agreed to buy immediately and the deal was done. What an instrument. Ultimately, two things killed it for me and I sold it, it was 35" and I just prefer 34" and the tonepump preamp isn't the greatest thing - yes I know you can overcome it's shortcomings by adjusting the EQ on the amp, but I don't see why I can't have a mid control on the bass. I did have to turn the preamp output down to about 50%, as it was just too hot and would clip my amp like crazy on the full output as I received it. Once dialed back it had such an even, loud and authoritative tone, it would have been perfect for gospel.

The build quality was fantastic, the gloss finish was perfectly applied, it was like glass and was as good a finish as I've seen on any instrument at any price point.

If I could get a 34" Spector 5 with a Hazlab preamp I'd be very happy with that, but the majority of Spector 5s seem to be 35". 

Spector.jpg

If you loved it so much why didn't you just swap out the preamp for something else?

Tried one in Bass Direct when i was down looking for a 5 string. Have to say i didn't like it and went for a Dingwall instead. The neck just felt very squarish (plank of wood description just comes to mind)

Can't remember what model it was but probably around the £1k to £1.5k. Certainly not top of the range.

Shame as they do make some beautiful looking basses.

Dave