Why become a member? ×

In praise of Spectors

TheGreek

I generally use my basses on a rotation system - every few months I'll change the bass I've been playing for one that's been cased for "a while" - this can be months sometimes, on other occasions basses can go unused for years if they miss their turn.

My recent acquisitions - the Warwick Streamer and the Japanese MM Ray - have been on the rack since arriving, throwing the rotation system into disarray. This has meant that basses I have gelled with already have been unplayed in cases. TBH neither of the new acquisitions have impressed me, though I'm sure others would find them extremely playable.

At the weekend the Warwick and the Ray went into cases and were replaced by my Silk Bass, rescued and rebuilt by Andyjr1515 some time ago. Another great bass...well worthy of bearing the Three Swifts logo. I used the Silk Bass for a couple of days before remembering that the Spector hadn't been out for several months, so out it came.

Man, what a joy!! I'd forgotten how well balanced it is, how playable the neck is and what great tones are available. I've been playing it for the past hour and a half, only stopping due to Dog harassment and the need to eat. 

By no means an expensive piece of kit but it represents great VFM and the emotional feedback I've had from it this evening means it's as valued as my more pricey equipment....

Shows that you haven't got to spend a fortune to get a fine instrument that feels "right".

• Like 2

Mine is a Q5 Pro, I have kept it for sentimental reasons - I didn't have an eBay account when I got it, my best mate bid on it for me. A few years later he died in a car crash after being diagnosed with terminal cancer so I can't bring myself to sell it. 

• Like 1

I couldn't get on with my Euro 4 , small hands and a deeper 'spine' to the neck.....however , my legend 4 is sweet, really sweet . 

I could never find a Spector Shorty I could afford ......however , the Shorty Bantam is making an appearance at the LBGS and is cheaper new than US used ,  so I am taking my credit card :drinks:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uk_lefty said:

Sorry to hijack, does anyone know the UK distributor for Spector? I'm keen for a try on a Euro model but can't find lefty ones anywhere.

Barnes & Mullins. They'll be at the London Bass Show in a couple of weeks time....

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Man, what a joy!! I'd forgotten how well balanced it is, how playable the neck is and what great tones are available. I've been playing it for the past hour and a half, only stopping due to Dog harassment and the need to eat.

When I first got my Spector Euro4 I played it until the sun came up. No other bass has had this effect on me. There's something about a Spector that is just very, very right somehow and the sounds they can produce are unique, yet universal. I still regret selling mine and when I can afford to buy another, I will! Every Spector I've played has been special, even the so-called 'budget' range is quality.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

What is REALLY bothering me is that I'm very likely trading my Warwick (for an Ibby 5 fretless) and as part of another trade getting a Spector this weekend (busy gear weekend in the Krow household!). All part of this year's ill conceived 'one-in one-out' policy that for some reason I seem to have got religion about. 

One very valid way of considering the net result is that my rather lovely Warwick $$ 5 string will have become a Spector 4 string (albeit hopefully also lovely!)

That means I can no longer wind up monsieur Le Greek anymore, with good conscience, when he is being derogatory about Warwicks and now start having to take his side on such matters. Ugh! The whole thing somehow feels very tawdry to me :D

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

That means I can no longer wind up monsieur Le Greek anymore, with good conscience, when he is being derogatory about Warwicks and now start having to take his side on such matters. Ugh! The whole thing somehow feels very tawdry to me :D

Welcome into the light Monsieur Krow!! ;)

• Like 1

I've owned 3 Spectors (only Legends & a NS models, do budget ranges).

I have loved the varied tone pallet, the build quality, very comfy body shape, feel of the neck in my hand & the 5 string had the nicest B balance I can remember having.

But....I just can't get on with the top horn placement not being over the 12th fret. I tried 3 times, until I gave up. Such a shame, great basses.

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

One very valid way of considering the net result is that my rather lovely nasty Spector copy, Warwick $$ 5 string will have become a Spector 4 string (albeit hopefully also lovely!)

Fixed for ya..

As Cetera says.."Welcome to the light"...at the end of this weekend you will understand why I so derogatory about Ws. 

Al, you will soon regard me as the one who showed you the way to the light....and see that taking my side on all things Spector is the right side to be on....

TBH much of my contempt for Ws is the Customer disService, rather than the instruments themselves...that and the notorious Court Case.

46 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Fixed for ya..

As Cetera says.."Welcome to the light"...at the end of this weekend you will understand why I so derogatory about Ws. 

Al, you will soon regard me as the one who showed you the way to the light....and see that taking my side on all things Spector is the right side to be on....

TBH much of my contempt for Ws is the Customer disService, rather than the instruments themselves...that and the notorious Court Case.

I was blind but now I see, lame but now I walk, a sh*t bass player but shortly I will sound like John Taylor himself.

4 hours ago, oldslapper said:

I've owned 3 Spectors...But....I just can't get on with the top horn placement not being over the 12th fret. I tried 3 times, until I gave up. Such a shame, great basses.

...I just hope I don't get the same problem with da horn :D

My Spector chap seems to have decided against the trade (which was for another of my German basses not the Warwick) 'cos he wants to follow his heart elsewhere (can't begrudge him for that!).

So it looks like I'll be able to go forward having owned wonderful German copies of the US "real things" (in my case two such brands in the shape of Warwick and Sandberg) and that I'm not going to need to switch allegiance quite so soon and can continue to take the mick out of Mick with a clear conscience :D

But if Spector ever come round to doing a 5 string P with a neck through, then please give me a shout! The Yammy TRB 5P1 stills seems to be in a class of its own in that field... 

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

And this isn't?

47 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

No, it’s not a P 

No, it really isn't. The fact it has a P-like split pickup means nothing. I've played a lot of P Basses and a number of Spectors and they are almost, but not quite, completely unlike each other in every way. :)

• Like 1