Why become a member? ×

Nick Fyffe and not digging in!

Mykesbass

Saw the Temperance Movement last night, great gig, brilliant front man and every song had groove and feel to it. Bass player is probably better known around here from his work with Jamiroquai, and I must admit, I was a little surprised by his pedigree.

What really stood out for me was just how much energy and drive he created without much physical effort - i.e. not digging in.

Now I know this is good technique, but I've never mastered it. Having seen what Nick could do I think it is time to turn the amp up and give it another go!

Edited by Mykesbass
There may only be one f in Fulham, but there are 3 in Fyffe!

3 hours ago, ambient said:

I play very lightly, I can play very fast too. It's just practice, ergonomics.

I find that if you're 'digging in', then where can you go when you need to move up a gear?

It depends on what your playing, but I like to think I sit somewhere in the middle, so I can dig in or play lighter as appropriate, that's how dynamics work.

3 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Saw the Temperance Movement last night, great gig, brilliant front man and every song had groove and feel to it. Bass player is probably better known around here from his work with Jamiroquai, and I must admit, I was a little surprised by his pedigree.

What really stood out for me was just how much energy and drive he created without much physical effort - i.e. not digging in.

Now I know this is good technique, but I've never mastered it. Having seen what Nick could do I think it is time to turn the amp up and give it another go!

You might find it worthwhile to play around with a ramp, which makes digging in pretty much physically impossible. In my case it hardly made any difference though, since I've always played with an extremely light touch anyway.

39 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

That`s about it for me too. If I turn up louder and play lighter the sound just isn`t the same.

That's what I always thought @Lozz196 but watching Nick last night made me realise that it can be done. I know I'm going to struggle, but really going to give it a go.

I saw Temperance Movement a couple of years ago and it was probably the best live sound I’ve heard from a bass. P bass & Hofner into a Fender Bassman stack with a REDDI. Was studio like clarity!

Nick is a fantastic musician though, plays to the song brilliantly!

• Like 1

Saw them last night in Birmingham. Excellent show and fabulous energy all round. Love the dynamics created by the two guitarists and their telecasters. Overall the sound was good but, as is often the way, the kick drum occupied such a big space that the bass wasn't quite as audible as I (as a bass player) would have liked. That said, what I could pick out was absolutely excellent and really enhanced the song. Probably my favourite band right now alongside Rival Sons.

On 20/02/2018 at 18:32, Lozz196 said:

That`s about it for me too. If I turn up louder and play lighter the sound just isn`t the same.

On 20/02/2018 at 19:14, Mykesbass said:

That's what I always thought @Lozz196 but watching Nick last night made me realise that it can be done. I know I'm going to struggle, but really going to give it a go.

I`d love for it to work for me but I have tried and the aggressiveness and attack are lost. Being in a 3 piece street punk band, where my sound is somewhere between JJ Burnell, Duff McKagan & Lemmy the "strength of hit" is where it`s at.

The only time I ever really found playing lighter to work was one band practice where it was so hot in the rehearsal room I couldn`t be fussed to play with my usual attack, so turned up louder/hit softer and admit that I really enjoyed it, but that was in a different band where it fitted far better. In all honesty I thought the tone was better too as a result, but again, different band, different needs.

On 2/20/2018 at 17:58, Passinwind said:

You might find it worthwhile to play around with a ramp, which makes digging in pretty much physically impossible. In my case it hardly made any difference though, since I've always played with an extremely light touch anyway.

Using a ramp, or raised pickup is what enables me to dig in!

So, just back from first rehearsal since deciding to give this a go - and not too bad. Only got stuck in once and caught myself doing it so backed straight off again. Drummer thought I may have been just a touch too loud, but said feel and sound was fine, guitarist thought that the sound had more clarity (only using rehearsal studio's H&K combo), and to his ears, a less compressed sound.

Going to chalk this one up as a success, but the real test will be when adrenaline kicks in at a gig!

• Like 1