Why become a member? ×

Bizarre but true musical collaborations?

MacDaddy

4 hours ago, TrevorR said:

And the piano onCat Stevens’ Morning Has Broken

RW also played piano on T.Rex's 'Get it on' (despite the TOTP appearance with Elton John miming it), and perhaps bizarrely played on Black Sabbath's 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' album.

Edited by casapete

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

That old chestnut again.

From the many interviews I've read on the subject if NWR's playing actually made it onto any the Frankie Goes To Hollywood records it was as a series of individual notes which had been sequenced using the Fairlight's Page R. IMO that doesn't even count as a performance let alone a collaboration.

Still counts in my book - and yes, I was entirely aware of the nature of Norman’s “contribution” and then lengths Trevor Horn went to to get a “bass part” he was happy with on Relax... still the sound of Norman plucking a string, even if triggered from a Fairlight. Perhaps I should have placed “on” in inverted commas...

Edited by TrevorR

7 hours ago, casapete said:

RW also played piano on T.Rex's 'Get it on' (despite the TOTP appearance with Elton John miming it), and perhaps bizarrely played on Black Sabbath's 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' album.

Indeed. And I was shocked to find out that John Peel didn’t actually play mandolin in Maggie May... :biggrin:

11 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Has anybody mentioned Sandy Shaw and The Smiths..

The "coolest" band ever and somebody old enough to be their Mum..

Reminds me of the old joke 'What do you call a dog with 4 pricks?'

'Lulu and Take That'.

10 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Still counts in my book - and yes, I was entirely aware of the nature of Norman’s “contribution” and then lengths Trevor Horn went to to get a “bass part” he was happy with on Relax... still the sound of Norman plucking a string, even if triggered from a Fairlight. Perhaps I should have placed “on” in inverted commas...

In that case John Bonham on just about everything recorded in the 90s with sampled drums. Even I had my own set of John Bonham drums made up from a couple of hours with the first 4 Led Zeppelin CDs and an Akai S2000.

12 hours ago, casapete said:

Jazz supremo Laurence Cottle played bass on The Headless Cross album by Black Sabbath.

He's in the video too for the single, but Neil Murray did the tour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Japhet said:

Reminds me of the old joke 'What do you call a dog with 4 pricks?'

'Lulu and Take That'.

I originally heard it as "...a dog with two c*cks" and "N-Dubz". xD

12 hours ago, casapete said:

Perhaps not so bizarre - I think Wakeman actually toured with Sabbath, possibly circa Born Again, when they had Ian Gillan on vocals.

(Allegedly hidden off to the side of the stage behind a curtain, because they didn't consider keyboards to look sufficiently rock'n'roll...)

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

13 hours ago, casapete said:

Presumably that's him tinkling on Fluff...

...oh, there's an image I'll never get out of my head...

46 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Perhaps not so bizarre - I think Wakeman actually toured with Sabbath, possibly circa Born Again, when they had Ian Gillan on vocals.

(Allegedly hidden off to the side of the stage behind a curtain, because they didn't consider keyboards to look sufficiently rock'n'roll...)

More likely Geoff Nichols. He was 'behind the curtain' with Sabbath for years, think he did Heaven & Hell gigs too when they werent allowed to call themselves Sabbath.

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

The Travelling Wilburys  :)

Jeff Lynne had done production work for Harrison, Petty & possibly Orbison (thought that might have been post Wilbury's?) so were all well acquainted. Actually getting Dylan and Orbison on board in the band was a bit surprising though. Lynn was very much the glue that held it together.

Edited by KevB