Why become a member? ×

NBD: Pino-like Fretless Ray

Old Horse Murphy

Wind back five years and you’ll hopefully understand why this bass is as special to me as it is....

In Feb 2013 I was diagnosed with a massive tumour on my right kidney. It was at Stage 3 due to the size (an unbelievable 9.5kgs!)  and I was told by the surgeon that it they didn’t operate soon it would kill me one way or another.

On Thursday last week, I was given the good news that I had no signs of recurrence and that they were leaving it to me whether I wanted to continue under observation; in short they were happy for me to be discharged. To get to the 5 year milestone was something I wasn’t sure I’d ever get to, so to say I’m relieved is an understatement!

After a few tears (something in my eye) my wife told me to treat myself and knew I’d been hankering after one of these: who was I to refuse!

After an early morning start I picked this up from Bass Direct on Saturday. The guys kindly restrung it with TI Flats and it really is the best Fretless I have owned. It is more special to me than words can adequately convey. Here it is: 

EB61B956-4A09-4031-8178-E3F32C1BD167.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 18

A New Bass Day thread with an uplifting back story and result? My day is better because of this. Huge congrats on the all clear and the stunning ‘Ray. Now you have to play Tear Your Playhouse Down and Call Me because it’s rude not to.

• Like 1

Wonderful news and thanks so much for sharing your story!  

I'm hopefully about to get my first fretless, as part of a trade, this weekend too. But a bit like I should've gone to Specsavers, it seems clear from the comments above I should have considered getting a Stingray... :) 

Enjoy the new bass!

Hi Nick,
I'm sorry to hear you had such an awful time - I hadn't realised mate. You looked so well when we met up a few years back
Really pleased to hear you are now in the clear, and that the op was successful.
Also, I'm pleased that you decided that a new bass was the best possible treat for yourself :)

Nice bass it is too - and I note that LewisK beat me to it with his question ;) 
I think I must play it each time I pick my fretless up! lol