Why become a member? ×

What's the one song you'd play live with the original band given the chance?

Beedster

8 hours ago, mikel said:

Close to the Edge, with the original Yes. Minus the bass player, obviously.

5 hours ago, mikel said:

Well....as the op was "What song would you play with the ORIGINAL band..."  Unless I wanted to stand next to Chris, and play note for note, he would have to sit that song out.  As would every other bassist on the songs people have chosen. I think we are all aware when Mr Squire died. Its a fantasy thread, dont start getting literal. :D

That's a relief. I no longer feel obliged to point out that Close To The Edge was not played by the original Yes but by a later incarnation.

On no ... wait a minute ...

:dash1:

3 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

Had a thought about Sid today,  on the 2nd of Feb he will be dead 39 years! Where did all that time go?!!!

It’s bloody crazy isn’t it, just wish I had been able to see them live. I know they weren’t the best band technically but you know it would have been an experience!

I'd like to do something by the Dead, but the thought of Phil Lesh watching me would put me right off! Perhaps White Rabbit with the Airplane, I used to play that with Jenny Haan, one gig we had to play it three times before they let us get off stage! That or Move Over with Janis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

That's a relief. I no longer feel obliged to point out that Close To The Edge was not played by the original Yes but by a later incarnation.

On no ... wait a minute ...

:dash1:

I think it was about Yes MkII.  Didn't Bill Bruford play the drums on the recording?

I think Dancing Queen by ABBA, or possibly Supper's Ready by Genesis circa Seconds Out, or Comfortably Numb by Floyd. Or maybe Ice by Camel (in the case of Floyd and Camel I'd get to listen to my 2 favourite guitarists at their absolute peak). I'd have said Awaken by Yes but the thought of hearing Yes without Chris - even though that is now the case - is just unfeasible to me. Playing onstage with ABBA, particularly in their heyday, would be like all my Christmases coming at once.

Or anything at all with Stevie Nicks or with Kate Bush would be amazing because I love them both.

Edited by 4000

8 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Supper's Ready by Genesis circa Seconds Out, or Comfortably Numb by Floyd. Or maybe Ice by Camel (in the case of Floyd and Camel I'd get to listen to my 2 favourite guitarists at their absolute peak).

These would be my choice too. Excellent selection if i don't mind saying so myself.

Dave

7 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Playing onstage with ABBA, particularly in their heyday, would be like all my Christmases coming at once.

Or anything at all with Stevie Nicks or with Kate Bush would be amazing because I love them both.

Ha ha, I'm with you on all of those. I must admit I'd originally asked the question in the context of the song not the band, but am seeing quite another angle now :)

All joking aside, I've always loved the bass part to Name of the Game. ABBA's bassist on those early tracks was outstanding. 

Just to be clear, I actually decided on ABBA, Stevie & Kate because I adore them as artists and they have all written and recorded many of my absolute favourite songs of all time. Stevie and Kate are arguably my all-time favourite solo artists, as well as Stevie being in one of my all-time favourite bands. ABBA are certainly in my top 2 or 3 bands of all time - and may be at the top - hence the choice. The fact that Stevie, Kate, Agnetha and Frida all happen to be fairly easy on the eye is just a lucky bonus.  :D

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, 4000 said:

The fact that Stevie, Kate, Agnetha and Frida all happen to be fairly easy on the eye is just a lucky bonus.  :D

Think i would be happy to stand behind them on stage for a few hours too.............listening to them sing of course. xD

45 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Think i would be happy to stand behind them on stage for a few hours too.............listening to them sing of course. xD

steady on there, you'll get the same treatment from the misogyny police that I did for suggesting that one of @wateroftyne 's fellow performers was cute o.O

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

steady on there, you'll get the same treatment from the misogyny police that I did for suggesting that one of @wateroftyne 's fellow performers was cute o.O

I have to admit to laughing at that i'm afraid. Kind of taking things to the extreme. Men will always look at good looking women and women will always look at good looking men. That's life and that's how we generally meet our partners or wives in life usually because you are attracted to them.

And i have to admit to thinking similar thoughts to you but you beat me to the comment. It wasn't offensive in my opinion.

Dave

NB How do you get the name tabs highlighted on your post. ?

well, if I'd said "phwoarr nice ti..." I could understand the fuss and as the father of two stunningly pretty little girls, agree, but I didn't. 

if you type @ and wait a moment you get a list of users to suit and you can drill down. Make sure you click on their avatar and the link goes orange. They then get a nudge to look.

Bit like facebook

• Thanks 1

On 20/02/2018 at 09:10, chris_b said:

I can't choose just one. . . .

Spanish Moon with Little Feat, Cissy Strut with the Meters and Sex Machine with James Brown.

Superb - I'm listening to Stretch your Rubber Band as I read this, which I'd choose especially if I could play George Porter Jr's P:

Also the live version of Orgone Accumulator from Hawkwind's Space Ritual

10395502-large.jpg