Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliott

Quilly

10 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

I’d be more likely to try a TE if they did a conventional solid state head with a 3- or 4-knob EQ. I can’t be arsed with graphics EQs!

we're all different, that's the main attraction of Trace heads for me,  the GP12 gives me the chance to shape my sound better, especially like being able to cut the 30Hz and 40Hz area to clean up my sound and cut out any boom that happens in certain rooms

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JapanAxe said:

If only it were that simple! A typical 3-band EQ has shelving treble and bass controls plus a bandpass mid control, all with very wide bandwidths (low Q factor). A well-configured 3-band control will sound very 'musical' and natural.

Graphic controls work on much narrower bands (high Q factor). To approximate the action of a 3-band control, it would not be sufficient to simply boost or cut the desired centre frequencies; you would also have to apply smaller amounts of boost and cut to some of the neighbouring sliders. I don't normally have time for this on a gig!

I'm not here to bash TE kit, it's just not for me.

Totally agree that the frequencies affected are much tighter with the graphic and TE instructions are to adjust adjacent sliders as you describe. However on a gig the low end is the only area where I have no idea what's going to happen. Mid and top are set during rehearsal to suit my bass of choice then low end set dependent upon venue acoustics. All that said most gigs end up with nominally flat EQ settings.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Totally agree that the frequencies affected are much tighter with the graphic and TE instructions are to adjust adjacent sliders as you describe. However on a gig the low end is the only area where I have no idea what's going to happen. Mid and top are set during rehearsal to suit my bass of choice then low end set dependent upon venue acoustics. All that said most gigs end up with nominally flat EQ settings.

The other factor in play here is a personal one for me: option anxiety! I don't like having too much choice when it comes to controls to set - 4 bands is more than enough for me! Maybe I'm just lazy...

I bought my Trace Elliot combo (GP12SMX, 300w, 1x15") brand new from the old Flying Pig store in west London back in 1998. I fitted Ernie Ball removable castors and also bought a made-to-measure padded cover from RoqSolid (green piping, of course :) ). A couple of years later I found a used 2103x (2x10" + 2x5") extension cab. Nice! The full rig has served me very well over the years though for smaller gigs I was using a Series 6 BLX80 1x10" combo - (80watts?! Yeah, and the rest...!). However, I finally succumbed to selling the BLX80 a year or so back. Trouble was, matching that Trace sound and tone. I tried a couple of others including an SWR WorkingPro 12 combo. Nice, but grossly under-powered, in my view. I ended up with an Eden EC15 180w combo which I have to say kicks some serious backside and is 2/3 the weight of the BLX, so I'm happy with that. At the moment, the Trace rig is getting a lot less use (which is criminal, really!) so I keep thinking maybe I'll pop it into the BC marketplace and see what happens, but every time I set it up it sounds so glorious, I just can't bring myself to do it.... yet! :)

TErig1.thumb.JPG.1173ea65052e68282b8c1cb8deb9d581.JPG

• Like 1

Is it the cab construction that makes them so heavy?  Wondering if it would be worth building a lightweight braced shell to house the combo gubbins.

I tried a 300w 2x10 combo a couple of years ago as a last minute stand in - glorious sound, but picking it up to put it on a flight case was a stupid move.

23 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Is it the cab construction that makes them so heavy?  Wondering if it would be worth building a lightweight braced shell to house the combo gubbins.

I tried a 300w 2x10 combo a couple of years ago as a last minute stand in - glorious sound, but picking it up to put it on a flight case was a stupid move.

I don't think it's just the cab, I've got a Trace 1 x 15 and I can shave 5Kg off the weight by swapping a non neo eminence with the Trace original