Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliott

Quilly

Hi There, Just looking at all the lightweight class D heads on the market at the moment. A lot of great stuff out there and I do appreciate the portability of it all but I miss the assuring solidity of  Trace Elliott gear.  Owned a 7215 SMC 300W combo a good few years ago, It was a tank of an amp and never missed a beat but sold it on to buy lighter stuff. I've always kept an eye out for the AH500/600 heads since and would like a more solidly built heavier amp. I see one or 2 of them for sale. Just wondering if anyone ever tried one of these. I already have a great Ashdown CTM-100 valve head and am looking for cleaner sound with more head room to compliment it.  

there's been several threads similar to this, I use a Trace head with lightweight cabs, get the best of both worlds, and a 200 watt old Trace head is more than enough IMO, used my series 6 200 watt head at the weekend, had it on 3 and was told to turn down! small pub admittedly but we have a bloody noisey drummer

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, zitherman said:

Ive had an ah 250 since new in the eighties.Stoneham amps fitted new mosfets recently and its like new.the power and depth of tone of these amps is very hard to beat in my opinion.

I've had them done to my SMX head recently, how much did it cost you? if you don't mind telling me that is

24 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I still have a AH150 head - still plenty loud enough for most situations.

These are TE watts FFS!!!

absolutely, in a Elf thread on here they're saying a 200 watt Elf head is only just loud enough for gigging with a band, class D watts are totally different from old Trace watts

5 minutes ago, zitherman said:

In reply to paulwarning i paid the princely sum of £100.00.i would thoroughly recommend martin at stoneham.ill be taking my other trace head in for an overhaul very soon

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, I've had numerous bits of gear back from Martin, he's been spot on and reasonably priced everytime (Especially when my SVT burned it's caps out) 

Very interested in the TE discussion as they're now back. 

7 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I had an early AH150, 11 band graphic. Used it in a rock band with one cab (1x15, later a 4x10) and never got it past 4, maybe 5. Possibly the best-sounding head I've ever had, although nostalgia could be deceiving me. 

The old GP12 400 SMX (think that is the model name) was absolutely fantastic.

All I wanted Trace to do was to make a smaller lighter version. it didn't have to be absolutely tiny or weigh less than your average book, just maybe half the size, half the weight.

The closest amp to it is the Genz Benz Shuttlemax. I picked up a Max 9.2 some years ago and it has that ultra clear, crisp, precise and quick tone of my old Trace.

On 19 February 2018 at 11:40, TheGreek said:

Awesome machines. I had an AH150 running a trace 8x10 for about ten years from 1986. Never ran out of gas. Stupidest thing I ever did was sell it. There is nothing like an old trace 810.  

As someone said further up the thread, it's the solidity of the note you get. It's like a PA cab....

On 20/02/2018 at 09:54, Musicman20 said:

The old GP12 400 SMX (think that is the model name) was absolutely fantastic.

All I wanted Trace to do was to make a smaller lighter version. it didn't have to be absolutely tiny or weigh less than your average book, just maybe half the size, half the weight.

The closest amp to it is the Genz Benz Shuttlemax. I picked up a Max 9.2 some years ago and it has that ultra clear, crisp, precise and quick tone of my old Trace.

I agree that Trace need to make a lighter model - unfortunately IMO the Elf is not the natural successor to the vintage gear.

My Genz Benz didn't even come close to the vintage TE tone. Now history...

• Like 1

I sold my Trace cabs a good few years ago,I replaced with 2 2x10 Hughes +kettner cabs which were light and I still had that trace sound,I now run two Markbass cabs a4x10 and a 2x10 with an 800 watt Markbass Head,still not the Trace sound I allways got so on Saturday I will be using my Trace eliot ah350 smx with the Markbass cabs,I’ve tried it with my MB  ninja 2x12 and it sounds awesome

• Like 1