Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT CL to sell, but what to replace it with?

frazerjt

Hi,

I'm considering selling my Ampeg SVT CL ('94 US model). Aside from the weight, I don't think it fits my needs anymore. I recently got a Fender Rumble 15W as a practice amp and was amazed at the response time. I'm not sure if this is just psychological or not but in comparison, the Ampeg feels extremely sluggish in response time. I'm looking to get something more portable, a solid state I'd imagine, but similar power to my SVT CL. Any suggestions? Maybe around the £800 mark or more, depending on what I get for the SVT CL. 

I've got an SVT Heritage 4x10 which I'm planning on keeping, but should I consider changing this too with the amp?

Thanks!

If that 'bounce and flex' from the full valve experience isn't for you, but you're still after something capable of being ballpark in tone (and more versatile) with power, and much lighter, I'd suggest a look at the newer Class D stuff like the Mesa Subway or Genzler Magellan. Dunno where you are in the country (or not), but Bass Direct are worth a shout to see what they have in stock, and a day out (you could even take your cab) to play with the current contenders could be fun. I know in-shop trials aren't exactly definitive, as nothing will recreate the gig experience, but at least you'll get an idea as to whether you'll still want to keep your cab...

The SVT 7 Pro is a decent head, it does have some of that classic SVT tone to it but I wouldn't say it emulates the classic all valve heads, I have been pleased with mine, it's been reliable and has always received good comments about the way it sounds and it is pretty lightweight unlike the classic vale heads that weigh more than a small planet......if you are local to Northampton you are welcome to give mine a try

Your experience echoes what I found with SVT heads, I had 2 MK1s and I gave it 4 years, re-valves and whatnot, and concluded that much as I love other people playing through them it didn't work out for me at all. I dropped on a GK800rb (I foolishly sold it to basschatter Cetera, a man of taste) that played so clear and fast, even if I don't play particularly fast, and I managed to get the sound I always wanted from an Ampeg. The GK cost less than the SVT revalve.

Obviously I'm going to recommend the amp I have now, Gallien Krueger 700rbii, I imagine the 1001ii could be ideal too. Should come in way under your budget.

All the best,

Martin

Another "amp I use" recommendation, the Ashdown ABM600. It has valve pre-amp so can be set thick/warm etc, but if wanting the solid-state quick response just leave this off - that`s what I do.

My two fave set-ups to play through are Ashdown ABMs & Ampeg SVTs, so when buying my amp went for the one I could lift out of the two xD

On 21/02/2018 at 21:47, The fasting showman said:

I dropped on a GK800rb (I foolishly sold it to basschatter Cetera, a man of taste) that played so clear and fast, even if I don't play particularly fast, and I managed to get the sound I always wanted from an Ampeg. The GK cost less than the SVT revalve.

Obviously I'm going to recommend the amp I have now, Gallien Krueger 700rbii, I imagine the 1001ii could be ideal too. Should come in way under your budget.

All the best,

Martin

Ah Martin - I was just about to recommend the old 800RB when I saw your kind words. I still have your amp - fantastic! Well worth looking an old one up - but they're rare as hens teeth...

Otherwise - I too would recommend a GK700RB or a Genzler Magellan..... and maybe a Tech21 VTbass pedal.