Why become a member? ×

Post DI Speaker Emulation?

BothOfMe

Hi Guys, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a piece of gear existing or even if my idea is a good/workable one?

Rock/Metal and make use of a fair amount of fuzz/distortion's Wah's etc, 

Most of the time I don't have an issue and the various sound guy's can handle things just by taking a DI out of my amp (Darkglass M900) and I Guess via EQ/Compression/LPF Can compensate for the lack of a speaker cabinet filtering the high end from my signal.

This, however, has not always been the case and I have recently had a couple of bad experiences admittedly with less seasoned sound guys where they havent been able to cope,

Is there a product I can plug my DI output into that will emulate a mic'd cabinet?

my current set up is bass>line 6 g55>tuner>EHX pitchfork>EHXBIgMuff>Chorus>EBS Wah>Darkglass M900 (i also make use of the built-in distortions)>DI

I'm Aware of things like the Two notes C.A.B but from the research I've done it seems they're designed to run straight from pedals and not from an amp DI?

I guess I'm looking for a box with XLR in & out that adds some sort of impulse response to the signal? 

The brand new Darkglass Omega Ultra allows you to install an IR in it's signal path. You could send that direct to PA. Or, if you want to save a few pennies and are on a serious budget, I often use a Fender re-badged Mooer Micro DI which is a DI box that has a speaker emulator on board. The emulator is supposed to be a 4x12 but the good news is the low end roll off wound upset most bassists at all. 

oh, p.s. if you are using the Micro Di, come out of the preamp out on your amp and send the DI to FOH. If you are using a preamp pedal then have that create all your gritty sounds and send that to FOH, don't use the DI on the amp (which I suppose could then be left with a clean sound..) The latter not being the cheapest option and would have you replicating gear. So I'm going with the Di route. Also check out the Mooer Radar pedal which is getting some great reviews at the moment.