Why become a member? ×

Squier Jazz Bass advice needed

Mike1962

Does any one have any experience of modern Squiers?
Especially the 5 string?
I had an L series Jazz bass in the mid 80s. Just at the time they brought the Squier Jazz bass out. They were a pretty close copy. Down to the laminated finger board.
I've tried the mordern standard Fenders and I'm not overly keen. I currently have a 1990 1960RI jazz with stacked nobs, which is great.

Mike

Edited by Mike1962

Squire are one of the worst brands available these days. It's a real shame.

Then again, how can one be surprised, them trying to cash in on almost copying the name of a really good competitor (Squier).

I hope bankruptcy will be their fate. ;)

Edited by BassTractor
  • Haha 3

Sarcasm isn’t dead!

Modern Squiers are brilliant instruments available at a great price. If it plays well, then it’s definitely worth taking a punt. They’re also inexpensive ways to get modding too, and with a few changes (pickups, tuners and bridge) - all of which you can get second hand on here, then you can have a brilliant bass for not much money.

Personally, if you want to dip your toe into he 5 strong world I can heartily recommend a Sire Jazz Bass. They’re a little more expensive, but also wonderfully made.

2 hours ago, Mike1962 said:

Ooops to the Spelling!

It's cool, of course, but also sometimes quite tempting. :)

BTW; I don't know if any Classic Vibes exist as fivers, but all Classic Vibes I've had (3 or 4) have been stellar for the money. Reportedly one can buy them untested, as they're really very dependable as well-made, well-playing instruments.

Personally, I've seen one or two Vintage Modifieds that were not totally there, but most of them reportedly are. I've not personally met an Affinity that I felt was good enough to buy for picky me, but they too seemed quite OK for the money (though in that price range I went for Yamaha RBX instead as it seemed more well-built)

I play a 5 string Squier Jazz Deluxe, great bass out of the box, once I had changed the strings.  I use it for detuned metal grooves and it handles that really well, eq is pretty hot but is easily tamed.  I've had it since 2012 and have no intention of getting rid of it/upgrading it.  It is was it is - a low cost good quality five string, looks pretty cool all in black too.  Well worth trying out first - string spacing is wide but I find it comfortable to play even with my 'Hobbit hands"!