Why become a member? ×

Cab advice

jezzaboy

I`m on the hunt for a new cab.

I play in a classic rock band, we can be quite loud sometimes, a mix of smaller pubs where it`s back line only - nowt through the pa and larger places where usually back line is provided. I use a P bass into a Hartke LH 500, no effects into a Ashdown ABM mini 2x10. I have used various Ashdowns for years and whilst there is nothing wrong with them, I`m looking for a change.

Ideally I`m looking for a 1 cab solution, something not to heavy, so no 4 x10`s. I have e mailed Alex at Barefaced as I like the look of the 2 x10, 4 ohms model but any other options around the £550 mark would be appreciated. Anyone got experience of the Markbass Traveler 2x10, 4 ohms? I have never used their products before so any input is welcome.

MarkBass Traveller is a good cabinet, the larger 2x10 HF is easily heard to be better as the front port helps the low end volume better than the rear ported Traveller. I speak of the 8 ohm cabs only here. I’m not so sure that a 4 or 8 ohm cab can be pushed to the full extent of the full 500 watt amp without distortion occurring.... 2 cabs better than one for full volume.

I think you’ve already answered your own question by emailing Alex ^_^

Something Barefaced for a one cab solution will be great. Your amp is well known

for having good tone and output, so it shouldn’t be hard to find something in their 

range that will suit, although it may mean adjusting your budget a little!

I did a gig on Friday using my GK800MB into BF Compact gen 1 cab (8 ohm 1x15) and

it easily kept up with 2 very loud guitars, keys and drums in a large pub. Sounded great

as well. Years ago this would have been unthinkable, and it has literally changed my 

working life. Wouldn’t hesitate in going down the BF route. Good luck, hope you get sorted!

7 hours ago, T-Bay said:

I have just got a barefaced Midget and compact. Still cannot believe how much air they shift. The compact is enough for most places I will ever play I think. The combination is very flexible and weighs nothing.

A BF Supercompact sounds like the two together and is, for me, the best one cab solution out there.  Except I got another one :)

I have a Markbass 2x10 traveller - it's 8 ohm though (not seen / tried a 4 ohm version)
and I really like it a lot. It's quite loud, and is deceptively lightweight. It's lighter than some cabs that are physically smaller!

My rig is flexible, in that I've got a few cabs, and I choose which to use, depending on which band / set-up I'm playing with, and the size of the venue
One of my fave cabs is my Epifani UL1x10. Absolutely amazing cab for its' size. I've not tried their 12's but I'd imagine they're really good