Why become a member? ×

eBay current bargains (be careful!)

Creeper

There are a few “bargains” on eBay at the moment which appear to be rather dodgy, a 59 Precision for just over 1k, I emailed and they said that they wanted my details so they can register the deal under the eBay buyer transaction scheme (for my piece of mind!!!!), sounds like a load of nonsense to me as the eBay buyer protection scheme would be a normal purchase through eBay!

im tempted to string him along for a while to see what happens next.

he also has a number of other vintage jazz and Precisions at rediculus prices so watch out!

Here is the answer to my enquiry

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in this item. 

As you saw, I am looking for a fast deal only and not a bidding auction, so the BUY IT NOW price that I am asking for this item is US $1500 including shipping charges. This item will come with a 30 Days Return Policy (if you are not satisfied %100 with the purchased item, you will be able to return it back on my cost and get a full refund). 
For a fair deal I want this transaction to be handled by eBay because they will offer protection to both of us and at the end of this transaction we will be able to exchange feedback. If you want to move forward in purchasing this item, please provide me with your FULL Name and FULL Shipping Address so I can submit our Transaction through eBay and request them to register our deal through eBay Buyer Protection Program. 

For more information don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you

• 2 months later...

These type of ads keep popping up.

The same seller lists the same item from multiple locations and they all state the same thing; buy it now but completed off eBay but under eBay buyer protection. If you look at the feedback the seller has sold a load of old tat and then list a load of expensive items; Rolex watches, decent guitars etc etc, all to  be completed in the same way.

The thing that fools you is that the seller ID keeps changing.

Certainly one to avoid despite the temptation of bagging a bargain, the reality being you’ll bag nothing.

I wonder if there is a way of testing them out somehow.

The seller accounts will be hacked accounts.  It isn't hard to do as a few years ago I encountered this 'user' and noticed the seller ID/name was a bit random; I tried logging in with the username and using the same name as password... bingo, into the seller's account.  I'm fairly sure you'll find these accounts have very weak passwords like the word 'password' or their username.  Once in the guy just lists stuff and uses a cut/paste of that offer off ebay cack.