Why become a member? ×

Fat vintage P-bass sound

Panos Bobolas

Hi!

I am searching for a vintage-sounding pbass with fat bottom lows and growling mids (I hit hard with my fingers when needed).   

I already have an American Standard 2011 (60th Anniversary). Sounds awsome but it's very 'modern' for my taste. Even with the Custom 60s pickups that I fitted it with.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

-Panos

what amp or pedals or preamps do you have?

What strings do you use?

What Cab do you have?

All these can affect what is going on.

How vintage are we talking? If we are talking Motown, well the signal was a bit compressed and often it went straight into the mixing desk, but you will get artefact from how it was recorded. Some of the bass lines were recorded in normal tuning faster and slowed down, to give it the appearance t is played a half step down and a little fatter.

Live the sound would be from a limitation of what amplifiers and cabs were around at the time, which affect the signal, so for sure nowadays you will have a clearer sound, which is not a bad thing, its technology advancing. It would be interesting to speak to the vintage musicians at the time, as I have a feeling they were searching for more clarity that we have now, and we are trying to retrofit our sound for less like they did then

I am using an ampeg combo and/or an old trace elliot. No pre amp (I need something like Tech 21 VT bass, but no money no honey)

Strings rounds 45-105.

Music style: old school garage punk, let's say something like Radio Birdman, Long Ryders, Wipers etc.

Funny thing: I tried a Sting Precision (Japan 2001) in the last rehearsal and it gave me that vintage 'boom'. 

25 minutes ago, Panos Bobolas said:

Hi!

I am searching for a vintage-sounding pbass with fat bottom lows and growling mids (I hit hard with my fingers when needed).   

I already have an American Standard 2011 (60th Anniversary). Sounds awsome but it's very 'modern' for my taste. Even with the Custom 60s pickups that I fitted it with.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

-Panos

This is my take on vintage and fat. Anywhere near what you're aiming for? 

• Like 3

Just now, Panos Bobolas said:

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

So, Model P pups (not so expensive as i checked) and flats is a combination i have to try...

I think that combination will get you there no problem. I would suggest some flats first, as those with the custom 60s pickup are renowned for vintage tone! I would suggest Tomastik flats.

3 hours ago, Panos Bobolas said:

I am using an ampeg combo and/or an old trace elliot. No pre amp (I need something like Tech 21 VT bass, but no money no honey)

Strings rounds 45-105.

Music style: old school garage punk, let's say something like Radio Birdman, Long Ryders, Wipers etc.

Funny thing: I tried a Sting Precision (Japan 2001) in the last rehearsal and it gave me that vintage 'boom'. 

Wipers, good taste!

Can't agree about the Thomastiks if you have a heavy playing style (like me).

Thomastiks respond well to a more delicate touch ... they're wasted on me.

LaBella FLs are the best but they're bloody expensive. GHS Baby Boomers or the Lakland branded strings offer a cheaper alternative that's almost as good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Can't agree about the Thomastiks if you have a heavy playing style (like me).

Thomastiks respond well to a more delicate touch ... they're wasted on me.

LaBella FLs are the best but they're bloody expensive. GHS Baby Boomers or the Lakland branded strings offer a cheaper alternative that's almost as good.

you mean that ones?

http://store.ghsstrings.com/ghs-bass-precision-flats/

13 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

LaBella FLs are the best but they're bloody expensive.

13 hours ago, Sibob said:

Any comments on price I find difficult to swallow with flats a little... put them on... leave them on forever

Yes, La Bellas will get you the classic old school sound on a P. While it's true they're not cheap, you can basically fit them and forget them - for the rest of the life of the bass and indeed for the rest of your life - and the life of whoever gets the bass next... and so on... historical La Bellas, Mmmm... :biggrin:

I too tried TIs and found them way too 'floppy'. Of course this is very subjective and you will see a range of opinions on them.

Edit: Such as that above ^^ :D

Edited by discreet