Why become a member? ×

Fat vintage P-bass sound

Panos Bobolas

These things are always so personal and open to interpretation but in my own experience and having owned a few P-basses, I have found that the old 50's style P basses with the thick necks and maple boards have the fat vintage sound in buckets.

I have my roadworn P strung with flats just for that vibe. (bit like the video posted above) 

14 minutes ago, discreet said:

Yes, a RW P strung with La Bellas gets you the quintessential Fender old school sound. If you've got an all-valve amp too, so much the better.

The tube amp is missing :( (I do have one at home, but never take it out lol)  I have a SansAmp or Microtubes to try emulate a bit when I feel like it.

Edited by Highfox

37 minutes ago, Highfox said:

These things are always so personal and open to interpretation but in my own experience and having owned a few P-basses, I have found that the old 50's style P basses with the thick necks and maple boards have the fat vintage sound in buckets.

I have my roadworn P strung with flats just for that vibe. (bit like the video posted above) 

Exactly! That's why a Sting pbass from Japan sounded "better" than my American Standard

1 hour ago, Highfox said:

I think thick necks are critical to that Vintage, thick P bass sound. That’s why I now have two Vintage, thick-necked Ps, the 50s in my video and a 59 CS... Everything with a skinnier neck didn’t manage to do it. The other bass that came close? The Yamaha attitude II, based on a thick Telecaster bass neck. 

It can’t be the be all and end all, but it makes a huge difference in my opinion! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TJ Spicer said:

I think thick necks are critical to that Vintage, thick P bass sound.

The belief that a bass sounds different depending which wood the  body is made from (tonewood), is largely risible IMHO, but in my experience the chunkiness of a neck does seem to have a bearung ob tobe. I'm sorry, I have a cold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fender Cabronita has a thick neck, but take out that god awful Fidelitron pick up and it’s a decent bass.

it would possibly need a rout and a different pickguard to make it look cool.

G&L tribute line are good affordable basses with thick baseball necks

Sandberg VS4, passive with either Hauessel or Sandberg in house pick ups (not Delano’s) will be a good bet also

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Panos Bobolas said:

What about some Limelights (pbasses) I see here?

I've owned one and would rate it to be at least as good as a RW P, if not better in some ways. Bear in mind I rate RWs to be on a par with US Fenders. Limelights are very good value, too.

Edited by discreet