Why become a member? ×

NPAD: GSS Sumo 1000

HazBeen

After acquiring and really liking the Mesa Subway Preamp pedal, I decided I would like to buy a Poweramp - ideally small - to give me a small but powerful gigging set

Ultimately ended up buying this: GSS Sumo 1000

Thus far I am blown away by the size and power. My Mesa MPulse 600 is a very loud amp, the Subway/Sumo combo is easily as loud whilst giving me the Mesa tone I like at a fraction of the weight. Pretty good on “girth” too!

Still needs lots of road testing etc, but so far so good!

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 6

I also own an Mpulse 600 with a Berg CN212 but have just bought a Mesa Subway 800 which has been very impressive.

For a number of gigs just lately the Mpulse 600 in the flight case has stayed at home just due to the weight factor and basically not wanting to the M pulse out in the rain and snow :0)

Interested to hear how your new power amp works out. 

Of course there is not a full spec on the website and those power ratings at 0.1% distortion are impressive. I would question whether it could maintain those power levels being passively cooled.

A class D amp with switching power supply Is usuall about, 80% efficient meaning it will dissipate 200 watts or so. Imagine putting a 200w lightbulb in that small box. Efficiency is quoted at full power but the dissipation is not linear. Much of the wasted energy is still wasted at low power.

It is possible to make a. powerful amplifier very small but I would like to see a full specification before I believe the power outputs claimed.

Okay, so I have done a gig with it and two 3 hour band rehearsals. Time for some further feedback/intel.

Firstly I am pretty sure this D class Power Amp is at least in part an own design, so it is difficult to compare directly with a “normal” Ice/B&O. The combo Subway/Sumo is most definitely louder than my Darkglass M900 and it has zero problem to keep up in full band setting with ample headroom to spare, I was unable to turn volume knob past 60% as it was just too loud.

I have also been changing from Sumo to Mesa M600 fx loop in to compare the Sumo against 600w Mosfet. The Mosfet is slightly warmer and has the typical mosfet low end girth, the Sumo is very transparent and responsive and actually seems to cut through a little better with the same EQ settings on the Subway. I have tried a Subway 800 and “from memory” the Sumo/Subway combo sounds very close to the 800 and most certainly is as loud and has the same authority I liked in the 800. I do use the deep switch with the Sumo, not with the M600.

I would say the Sumo/Subway is about as loud as the Mesa M600. Like most D Class amps I doubt the Sumo gives the full 1000w all the time, but it is certainly not lacking in any way, it is crisp, has enough weight and has consistent volume/tone.

I use Tecamp L212s that have a wide frequency response, the Subway/Sumo is a good match.

The unit is passively cooled and does get hot, after a 3 hour session it is quite warm to the touch but not mega hot and when switched off cools down quickly so heat dissipation seems pretty efficient.

What I really like is that I now control both my amp and DI sound from my pedal board, and clearly I can use any amp with an fx loop as power amp so we are talking consistent sound/setup regardless of venue.

Time will tell if I start missing my full sized Mesa, but for now I am very very happy and the Sumo is delivering the goods. Very impressed, especially given it’s price point.

Some pics:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ohjQF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acroxixo said:

Hello Hazbeen

I'm very interested in this Sumo. Please keep your feedback about this.

I see some dirt/overdrive pedals on your pedalboard. How the Sumo works with this pedals? 

It copes really well, I stack a lot of dirt and it all came through as articulate as I expected. But that undoubtedly is also due to the Subway pre which is a great bit of kit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I have done a few shows with the Sumo now, so final instalment.

I continue to be amazed by the power, sound and portability of the Mesa/Sumo combination. Crank it half way up and your guitardist will be begging for mercy (assuming you actually have some speaker area, like my 2 212s).

Monday I tried my old M600 again, just to see if hearing it again after a few weeks would change how I percieve Mesa/Sumo. Answer, no... it is a great amp and a tone I know and love, but I also love the Mesa/Sumo tone and they are not far apart tonally.

Overall, the M600 (which is my "go to" and has been for many years) is a little richer (tubes/mosfets) and has more elaborate EQ options but the difference is very small. Much smaller than the Darkglass M900 (which I have now sold BTW), Genz Benz, EBS D class heads I have owned before.

RESULT!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I recently bought the Baby Sumo (600W) and it's small, light and powerful. And it fits in a backpack so I can get the bus/tube to gigs in central London. Worth every penny. I also got their 06B400 mini amp for home practise and for something small to use with my upright, it's awesome too, the low end from this is unreal!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DanOwens said:

I'm using their GSS 06B400 with battery pack as a busking amp with my upright. Its a 6" speaker but the sound is lovely. I don't want sub sounds for busking, I want mids that project and this has that in spades! And 12 hours battery life!

I've been looking at these for ages and would love one for busking.. the only thing putting me off is the price of the battery pack..€200 for a battery seems excessive... its a 35v unit and I haven't been able to find a cheaper alternative... GSS seem to make very good gear though so I'm sure the quality is great

• Like 1

I have no need for the battery pack, and yes it is expensive. I'm really impressed with the quality of both the amp & combo so far. They both get used all the time. I'll probably get the extension speaker at some point to unlock the full 200W.

A friend of mine plugged his guitar & Helix into my 06B400 bass amp and it sounded wonderful. Loud too.

Before I got the GSS bass combo my practise cab at home was my trusty Bergantino HD112. I did an A/B test with the GSS combo and the Berg/Baby Sumo, and I could hardly tell the difference in sound quality & tone. Of course, the GSS can only go so loud as it's only using one of its two 100W amplifiers, but at equal volume levels it was stunning.

Edited by ratman
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, ratman said:

Yes, it's probably a bit big for mounting on a board.

That's a shame, I'm thinking of trying to do pre/ power/ pedals all on one board as my next amp solution. These sumos are top of my list to try.

• 7 months later...

Hello, thinking about buying one gss power amp.

I want the correct power. The mesa Subway d800 is perfect for my needs and my barefaced supercompact.

Do you think with the 600watts is similar power to mesa d800 or I Will need 1000watts versión please?.

My intention is sound less dark and don't have noise ( fan noise, hiss noise..).

Obviusly the 600 version price is better. Thank you.

I had the GSS Sumo (1000 Watts) coupled to a Warwick Hellborg preamp and the AudioKinesis Hathor monster cabinet (one 18 inches driver and four 3 inches speakers).

The GSS is dead silent, transparent and really powerful and, to me, better sounding than the Pascal module which is quite similar, but not as dynamic and transparent.

I know have a GSS FRFR 12 + 6 + tweeter coupled to an original Glockenklang Bass Art preamp and the sound is just amazing and so light and small.

You can ask Didier any question : he will answer you. Don't worry he's fluent enough in English. 😉

• 3 weeks later...

That's no issue. It says on the website  - 'Please add "Please ship 120V version" in the comment section while entering your order online and please allow 48 hours prior to shipment for us to modify your purchased product accordingly.'

• Like 1

• 6 months later...