Why become a member? ×

Ash or Alder

Merton

Ash or Alder?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Passive jazz. Which body would you choose (and comment why!). Just doing some research before committing to a build by a certain well respected manufacturer... ;)

• Ash
    • Alder

So I’m getting closer to pulling the trigger on a custom jazz made by a certain well respected European manufacturer. Still undecided on core body wood so interested in people’s opinions please!

The neck will likely be maple with ebony board but may be maple/maple....

Edited by Merton

From what I've seen, ash is typically heavier than alder, but swamp ash can often be lighter than alder. I'm not sure it makes a huge difference tone wise as I've had really bright lively basses with alder or basswood bodies and really dull sounding ones with ash bodies! You could probably get just as much variation in resonance between two ash bodies from different trees as you would from ash vs alder. All IMHO of course!

Im a believer in the tone qualities/differences of both body woods. but different pickup winds, strings, neck woods etc, override any differences you might be able to hear in ash over alder Imo.  I would go with Alder with a flame maple top. You get the lighter body with a sexy top.Who is the builder.? 

Edited by bubinga5

I've had both and preferred both. I like good definition with snappy, punchy and warm mids, but it's the overall sound of the bass that I listen to. That's why I'm not a good candidate for a custom build.

I'm not sure woods fall neatly into traditional definitions anymore. Seems to me that the difference will be in the resonance of the particular pieces of wood and the pickups you have to choose from.

Either way, Mert, I'm sure it will be a great bass.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Im a believer in the tone qualities/differences of both body woods. but different pickup winds, strings, neck woods etc, override any differences you might be able to hear in ash over alder Imo.  I would go with Alder with a flame maple top. You get the lighter body with a sexy top.Who is the builder.? 

Funnily enough it’ll have a maple top with transparent coloured finish probably so your suggestion is bang on where I was headed!

Builder? Maruszczyk :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As said above, there are many variables other than the wood and it is hard to predict how much and what contributions the wood would bring to the end result. 

I'd personally choose alder with a fancy top

FYI, Roger Sadowsky has a great article about his experiences with the main tonewoods and their combinations. 

https://www.sadowsky.com/wood-and-sound-in-amplified-guitars-and-basses/

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Merton said:

FWIW I’m thinking given that ebony is quite a bright fingerboard it’s be good to go Alder body to soften it a bit...

My view is that any inherent differences are swamped by the kind of effect that strings, electronic circuitry and playing style have... so I go for what I like best, which is alder. A nice lightweight with nice grain ash body in a well balanced instrument can be a thing of beauty (especially if that manufacturer starts with an M ;))

Ash!

2 hours ago, Merton said:

Funnily enough it’ll have a maple top with transparent coloured finish probably so your suggestion is bang on where I was headed!

Builder? Maruszczyk :)

I thought it would be Adrian :)

You can't go wrong either way then. And if you want it light, ask him, you'll get light.

• Like 1

For me, it would depend on the body finish as I'm not convinced there's much tone difference between the two.

If I was having an opaque finish i'd probably go alder. 

If I was having a transparent finish, I'd go either ash or alder with an interesting top wood.

Either way, I'd match the headstock.

Edited by Wilco

I've used Ash for many years on fretless to help along the 'attack' of the note whereas my Roscoe Beck Fender fretted bass has an 'aged' Alder body and doesn't quite have the same attack as ash, (great recording bass though).

Thanks to Paulhauser's link here is what Roger Sadowsky says and I agree....

Ash: Hands down, the tightest, brightest and punchiest body wood.

Alder: Sweeter and warmer, with fuller midrange 

Edited by mybass

My ebony and ash (Yamaha) is very scooped in the midrange, which works fro what I use it for. Sweeping it to the rear pickup adds a little more punch back in of course. For a more traditional band role, I've always preferred alder and ebony as it's a lot warmer to my ear, but with a more cutting attack to the notes than rosewood or maple. 

I didn't vote because it makes little difference. Go with the one that is lighter and/or the one you most like the look of. Then make sure your electrics and hardware are top-notch and the neck is a premium product. :)

PS: Go with the maple board.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go with ash because it looks good. But I'd go with the lighter piece and focus on neck/fingerboard for "voicing". Also pickups type/position will have a great impact. I've had various ash bodied basses and my conclusion is that weight/density makes a huge difference in tone. On two basses with heavy/ harder ash bodies the low end was bigger than on my lighter bass who sang more in the low midrange. But to me necks decided character. A wenge fingerboard will be close to a rosewood one...but maple will sound differently and ebony will give you that howl in the upper mids ...add active electronics and chose an unusual pickup position and all I have said about wood density and weight is snake oiled load of crap.

Edited by Pasco Jacorius

To me the well known European builder should be able to provide you with some solid advice.

Alder is the classic option, but looks dull (hence they are mainly burst or solid colours). Ash is often a little lighter in weight and darker sounding (natural scoop), nice grain so translucent colour friendly.

But what you choose also depends on fingerboard and pickup selections.

To my taste an Ash body JB needs a Rosewood (sorry Cites) fretboard and pickups that flatten out the scoop a litle, Lollars for instance. Alder with Ebony or Maple board and Nordstrands or Aero.... but that is my preference.

so if you are going for ebony, I say alder...

Edited by HazBeen