Why become a member? ×

EQ pedal

funky8884

Hi , I am looking at adding a EQ pedal to my set up, the idea is to use it when using the neck and bridge pickups together to add in some lost volume and a little mid,

this way I can have 3 distinct sounds - neck, bridge and both without losing my place in the mix,

I have spotted the EWS pedals and wondered if anyone else had any low noise recommendations?

Thanks 

You're quite right to focus on making sure that EQ pedal is "low noise".

I was interested that these guys are selling a modified MXR 10 band EQ just to deal with the noise, which I'm assuming they wouldn't be doing if it was a non issue? I'm guessing this may be a feature of a number of EQ pedals, so definitely a point worth checking out.

http://www.griffineffects.com/ten-band-eq/173-ten-band-eq-silent-night-mod.html

I'm sure you've already considered, but what amp are and bass are you playing through and what are the EQ options on these?

I think the "S" stands for silver, but either way it seems to have addressed the two key shortcomings in the older MXR 108 highlighted in @OzMike's video clip which were: (1) noisy when not engaged and (2) not a true bypass. 

"The MXR Ten Band EQ lets you tune your bass or guitar rig in seconds, and it's been upgraded with noise-reduction circuitry, true bypass switching, a lightweight aluminum housing, brighter LEDs, and a second output."

The  updated version does sound good to me and I'm not sure that there is much better out there now in terms of a 10 band EQ than the MXR 108S?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

You're right. In fact something like a Zoom MS-60B (which can be got for around £50 second hand) has a very decent (and not noisy!) 7 band EQ with centre points at 50Hz , 120Hz , 400Hz , 500Hz , 800Hz, 4.5kHz , 10kHz which I think would be just fine for the OPs purposes. It also does a ton of other stuff!

For my own use, I'd personally value the ability also to cut at 30Hz and adjust the 60Hz and being able to boost in the 1kHz to 3kHz range with my Markbass amp / cab. Hence I quite liking the idea of the noise reduced MXR 108S 10-band EQ, but in terms of just boosting the mids, totally agree that additional flexibility is probably not needed.

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, funky8884 said:

I have stayed away from digital effects following a bad experience with a line 6 bass floor pod but this Zoom ms-60b looks nice , I wonder if it has a variable Q

Just had a look at the available patches on the ms-60b and it has a 2 band parametric EQ,   

Does anyone use one of these ?

48 minutes ago, funky8884 said:

Just had a look at the available patches on the ms-60b and it has a 2 band parametric EQ,   Does anyone use one of these ?

Hi, I think quite a few folk on BC are using the Zoom EQ effects on the MS-60B, the Zoom B3 (and the Zoom B3n which has a newer chipset). I actually replaced my first MS-60B which I had foolishly moved on, with a used one, when I belatedly realised just how much "bang for your buck" they deliver!

Been a few threads on these pedals worth checking out, if you're interested in some more views.

In fact on the HPF thread (see link below) @bartelby ran a few sims of how the effective the B3 (which is pretty similar to the MS-60B in terms of chipset) was at cutting frequencies. It should be just as good at boosting given its + / - 12dB

I personally prefer the GEQ to the para EQ on the Zooms, but if you twist his arm bartelby may well run you a couple of sims to demonstrate the how effective the para EQ is on his B3 in boosting the mids at particular frequency ranges you're interested in.

I'd actually just go grab yourself a second hand MS-60B. It will do a ton besides EQ and if you decide it's not for you, you'll be able to move it on for pretty much what you paid for it :) 

Edited by Al Krow

From another thread, but another good reason to get yourself the single best value for money pedal in the market today... :) 

47 minutes ago, Osiris said:

I personally really rate the compressors on the Zoom B3 and MS-60B, and think they are among their strongest features. My personal fave for subtle compression and tonal fattening is the M-Comp model. No significant tonal colouration and it works really great with in the band mix. I've played through a couple of dedicated stomp box compressors that didn't perform half as well as the M-Comp model, IMO, IME etc. The Dyna comp model also sounds great to me and I love the squishy tone from the optical comp model (can't remember what it's called now xD). 

I've had good results with the other models too, the only one that I wasn't too keen on was the Dual-Comp model as it had a massive mid-scoop. It might work well for slap stuff but like you, that's not something I really do either. 

Ok...but only on condition that if you get a used MS-60B and resell it at a profit I get a 25% cut of the profits. Besides this YOUR thread has got me seriously thinking about getting a MXR 108S, so it would be entirely fair to blame you for that right? :D

• Like 1