Why become a member? ×

Having Trouble Hearing your Dry Signal?

SpondonBassed

AquaSonic - Between Music

I just saw a piece on this ensemble on this morning's BBC Travel Show.  It was both fascinating and disturbing.  For the disturbing bit, watch the last half minute or so where one of the performers is pawing, so to speak, at the glass.  I realised that I had been holding my breath in sympathy up to that point when I had to breath in suddenly.

Breathtaking is a starkly appropriate adjective for the act.  The vocal parts require extra control as water is taken in as close to the larynx as possible without gagging.

Some of the instruments have been made especially for this project over the ten years or so of its existence.  Of particular interest was an instrument that has the sonic qualities of a cello.  It looks like a strung wire-frame body with the saddle of a lathe (complete with tailstock wheel) at one end and a loudspeaker cone grafted on at the other end.

I'm happy enough that the instrument takes care of the sound of bowed strings.  If plucked, it might be good for metal too but I don't suppose there would be much opportunity for slappists in this group.  With all that wrist flapping you'd risk emptying your tank before you got to the middle eight!

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Creepy. Like music of ghosts.

The commentary said that the sounds heard through water were a throwback to the sounds that every human being experiences in the womb.  I have no experience of ghostly music other than the sound of the theremin.

7 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

AquaSonic - Between Music

I just saw a piece on this ensemble on this morning's BBC Travel Show.  It was both fascinating and disturbing.  For the disturbing bit, watch the last half minute or so where one of the performers is pawing, so to speak, at the glass.  I realised that I had been holding my breath in sympathy up to that point when I had to breath in suddenly.

Breathtaking is a starkly appropriate adjective for the act.  The vocal parts require extra control as water is taken in as close to the larynx as possible without gagging.

Some of the instruments have been made especially for this project over the ten years or so of its existence.  Of particular interest was an instrument that has the sonic qualities of a cello.  It looks like a strung wire-frame body with the saddle of a lathe (complete with tailstock wheel) at one end and a loudspeaker cone grafted on at the other end.

I'm happy enough that the instrument takes care of the sound of bowed strings.  If plucked, it might be good for metal too but I don't suppose there would be much opportunity for slappists in this group.  With all that wrist flapping you'd risk emptying your tank before you got to the middle eight!

Lovely and disturbing in equal measure. Mesmerising... Thank you!

8 hours ago, mcnach said:

Lovely and disturbing in equal measure. Mesmerising... Thank you!

You're welcome.

I thought it was an interesting diversion.  There was a clip in that lot where the placement of hydrophones and dead spots in a small enclosure was discussed.  Technically speaking, it was a treat.