Why become a member? ×

Bassix Electric Double Bass - SOLD
£600

I am selling my folding Bassix Electric Double Bass.  It was handmade by Alan Hatswell & apart from the usual wear & tear it is in good condition.  There is the odd small chip out of the body & a small chip out of the black body outline which you have to actually look very carefully to find.  It folds up to just a fraction bigger than a normal bass guitar case & I will include the soft case & stand in the sale.  The weight of the bass in it’s case is 7.8kg.

The Bassix has a very lush mellow sound & is very easy to travel with.  I brought it to practise with while I was away touring round the world.  The controls give the bass a wide range of tone qualities while keeping that authentic upright sound.  This is really the nearest you are going to get to a real double bass & is perfect for pizz & arco.  It also has a very pleasing aesthetic look.

Any questions then please message me.

Many Thanks

Bassix Whole.jpgGreg

Bassix Front.JPG

Bassix Back.JPG

Bassix Headstock.JPG

Bassix Headstock Side.JPG

Bassix Side Dials.JPG

Bassix Side Jack.JPG

Bassix Chip.JPG

D8CF66B6-A0E6-4673-BD41-A3B3972D9072.jpeg

0B6B0E31-924A-4588-BD3E-FD439AD6058B.jpeg

ADA820CF-0702-4204-BF0B-4978736B0872.jpeg

Edited by greghagger
Sold
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Greg,

Never seen one of those, but there are a few here in the forum who are complimentary about Alan's instruments, so I am interested.
Can you tell me how much it weighs when it is all packed up in the case? And would you have a picture of the case too?
And finally (for now) the pictures may not be telling a fair story - it does not look as if the radius of the fingerboard is as small as on a traditional DB. Is that true or is it a trick of the lens?
I want to learn DB and have not much space and no car - so this is tempting... but I want to play classical, with bow, so just wanted to check how it compares to a traditional instrument.

Thank you!
Hanry

Hi Hanry

Just noticed your post, sorry! I’ll pack it up, weigh it & post a photo tomorrow & give you more info. It does feel very similar size wise under the fingers as a traditional double bass. I did use it to practise my bowing but the strings currently on it are more suited to pizz. I’m sure more suitable strings for arco would work with this bass. 

........ok so I have attached photos of the case with one of the photos showing relative size to an electric bass.  The weight of the bass in the case is 7.8kg.

I have done some research on the radius & it seems to me that it varies on a lot of upright basses. Some of them have a bevel edge for the E string which is a throwback to when the E strings were much larger. The Bassix feels very similar, radius wise to my double bass which is a modern bass. 

E3A2E87D-E05C-4283-99C1-481C59E6201E.jpeg

3EB0D66E-85CC-4661-9EA8-1A7A1C5D4F55.jpeg

EDB2B3F3-0EC3-4E6A-8DD3-50F39F5264B0.jpeg

Edited by greghagger
More info & photos

Thank you for the detailed answer and the pictures - that is brilliant!

Will you be in London (or environs) in the coming days (or weeks, not sure how urgent the sale is ;-) - for me it is not about time, but about finding the right instrument for me) where I could meet you and the bass? It won't take long, I just need to get an idea whether the bass and I will get along. I will DM you my phone number.