Why become a member? ×

Now with Pics! Shuker 3. Extended db type fret board 😱

MacDaddy

On 2/18/2018 at 08:05, SpondonBassed said:

I want to see the other side of this at least, if not the entire instrument.  It looks fascinating.  Have you played it?

I've only seen the extended fret board from afar, in places like the Royal Opera House orchestra.

Regular readers may know my preference for 'Kubicki' style extended fretboards (see Shukers 1 and 2) but this time I wanted something with tuners, and I showed Jon the db pics and he reckons he can do something similar but more playable.

• Thanks 1

this is what I sent to Jon:

Hi Jon

ok, so the rational: Although it will be gigged, this bass will live on a stand in my flat as it will be my go-to-bass for learning songs, and having to detune. As such it will need to be able to cope with differences in temperature and humidity.

The body needs to be the same as my other Shukers (I guess that's my 'thing' now 😊 ) and the neck (double octave) and the ramp/rest the same size and profile as on my zebra Shuker.

Same scale as Shukers 1 & 2 (mid scale 32" to the open E?)

No LEDs on this one, and no fret markers on the board.

Usual passive, single vol pot.

Straplocks.

not too heavy and nicely balanced (despite the headstock).

Headstock, whatever magic you want to work, but only extended to D (not C like the doublebass ones).

I'm happy to give you free reign on everything else.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On Thu Mar 01 2018 at 13:31, MacDaddy said:

Jon's been asking about the colour/finish. I'm still not sure, though I'm thinking maybe a Steampunk vibe? Not necessarily extraneous cogs and dials, but stripped and bare...

Sort of like when you can see the patina on old worn faded metal...

• 3 months later...

time for an update? The latest from John:

its been through several versions, I wanted to design something that kept the lower side of the neck free from any obstacles for fretting, looking at the double bass version the tuners would be somewhat in the way but i think i’ve one up with something that works, but still a similar design…
If you can imagine the pick marker pen is the fretboard, similar to number two with a fallaway just after the nut on A, D and G, but the strings disappear through an elongated hole to the actual heastock below, normal mini bass tuners mounted in a double bass style on the ‘bass’ side of the board are about 15mm below the board. Not easy to describe… the extended board has the ebony clamps mounted on the upper side of the board and can be turned away. The E tuner is mounted again below the board level but on the treble side, it will clear the other tuners. It is quite complicated but will work and give you a near normal feeling neck up that end. Let me know what you reckon and if you can visualise the design of it ok, it will probably be the case that the design changes a bit as its made, I’m thinking i may have to move the tuners a bit further out from the neck so that the G tuner doesnt obstruct the hand… Its certainly different!

simonheadstock1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...