Why become a member? ×

Albizia for a body?

jack1592

Just wanted to get some opinions in this, any and all suggestions/input are appreciated. 

I've picked up a piece of Albizia which is the perfect size for a one piece bass body. It's a pretty dense wood and seems stable so I don't see any issues with using it but just wondered if anyone has any experience with using this at all? I've attached a photo with the body shape drawn out as well. 

For what it's worth, it's gonna be my first build so I'll probably end up using it anyway and if it doesn't work then it's not the end of the world. 

Cheers,

Jack

IMG_20180216_212433.jpg

Never used it but found these details on it which suggests it can be used for furniture so should be okay to use for a bass body I'd guess.

http://www.wood-database.com/albizia/

The only thing I'd keep my eye on with your design is the top horn as it is quite narrow in places where the grain is straight so won't be as strong there. 

Looks like a nice piece of timber though - be interested to see this evolve!

Cheers

Jez

I’ve only ever come across Albizia as a wood for turning, the problems I encountered with it was that it splits a lot on the end grain and had lots of checks in it also it was quite difficult to machine as the grain is very tightly interlocked but I could have just had a not very good piece??

As you’ve said that if it doesn’t work then it’s not the end of the world so just go for it and see how it goes I’ll be interested in seeing how it turns out......

Also love the shape, but @Jabba_the_gut has a really good point