Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic BG250 2x8 combo

torby

I’ve just started bass and I need a combo, car transport for everything so I’m looking for opinions on this combo, small but loud enough.

the amp section can be purchased AFAIK on its own for not much less than the combo, so I’m thinking the 2x8 combo would be handy for the typical pub gig...bigger stuff perhaps get a 12” or 15” cab to add on for a fuller sound.

any opinions on this combo?

I've only mine for about 6 weeks now so maybe I'm not an expert. IME it would only be suitable for a very small gig, think maybe an acoustic guitar and a piano type thing. I play in a rock band with two guitars and a full drum kit, it wouldn't cut it. I mean, I usually play ampless so it would actually suit me fine, but for the amount of volume it puts out it's within a rounding error of just being a DI box on stage.

Great combo, great sound, the tone prints are fantastic. With the 2x10" or 2x12" extension cabs it may actually be giggable. But by itself it's a practice amp really.

15 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have been looking at one just as a home practice thing, either that or just the amp.

The BH250 is brilliant.  Had one before stepping up to the 550.  If I had the choice now though, I might lean towards the TE ELF for portability and size.  The TC is great for the toneprint benefits (if you think you’ll use them though).

Hi I have a BG250-208, nice little amp, tone print is fun, built in tune handy, but would not attempt to gig it, even at tiny venues without an extension cab. I have had two of these and have found the DI out to be very noisey and there is no ground lift to eliminate mains hum. In summary a great portable amp for home practice. It cannot keep up with a drummer and/or most guitarists out there  .  I would go for the bigger 2 x 10 for smaller gigs or consider a spending a bit more on a larger Fender Rumble 2x10.

I've got a BG250-208 got it from someone on here actually. It already has upgraded speakers, so it's already 250W at 4 ohms 
It's definitely louder and meatier than its' original state (I know, cos I had one when the first came out) but it would still struggle with a loud drummer and 2 guitarists

I use mine for jams, pub sessions, and acoustic nights etc. I've played alongside guitar, keys & drums - but the drummer was fairly quiet
I've also used it in small - medium sized pub gigs, where I know the rest of the band aren't overly loud. I've also used it where I've been plugged into the PA, and the 208 is really just my stage monitor.

It's a nice little amp, really compact & neat, and I like the sound (I've got some nice results with my EUB) but I wouldn't expect much from it up against loud drummers and more than one guitarist - even with the upgraded speakers.

Mine arrived today.

A quick test confirms what’s reflected here.  They’re ok for home use and home practice, but wouldn’t want to gig with it solo.  However, after playing with cabling options, I’ve got it so that my BH550 powers the 2x8 solely as a cab and then on to the 2x12.  It’s brilliant, full range, lightweight and and plenty of volume.  

Give it time and I’ll probably end up taking the amp unit off of the 2x8 a a it’s not in use.  

After getting it and trying out the cabling options, I got creative with the aux inputs and 3.5mm splitters.  In the pictures you’ll see how it’s currently set up and it all works as a giant surround sound for the tv (the 2x12 is hidden on the other side of the room).

After playing with all that and a trip to the shop, I get home to find my LED kit has been delivered so installed one, just need to order another for the 2x12.

E2A0AE9D-A449-4ABF-B9BA-539AB4821F10.jpeg

96D63923-EB3C-4107-83C5-81B7834B8AC3.jpeg

F836F4D7-B853-4931-9881-95C7B7E82F10.jpeg

754DCE2B-33DE-4FB9-B311-C897A1A69186.jpeg

ABC7414A-4443-46B5-9021-1FF5A7DC3668.jpeg

21684E7E-FA2A-46E2-92A7-A9116BA8F316.jpeg

E5100625-ED0A-41DA-880F-253BBB1593CA.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Thread revival!

I'll be on the hunt for a smaller combo in the next few months.

Gigging a Markbass 102P Traveler cab/Rumble 500 for the 'power trio' gigs, but I'm now gigging with a semi-acoustic trio - vocals (x2), acoustic guitar, electric bass (me!)

I'm assuming that this 2x8 would be sufficient? It's a Sunday PM pub gig band....maybe use it as a practice amp as well? Got the louder set-up for the other band, but was thinking this could be a way of carrying less! 😀

My 208 I find a very convenient combo. Light-weight, 26 lbs, built in tuner, built in compression, (spectracomp),  and not too expensive. The low end depends on position/room. OK, not very loud but not bad on it's own. With an ext cab it's as much as you want. Sounds like it might suit your needs.

I’ve upgraded mine to 4 ohms (speakers purchased from Grandad above). Used it for rehearsals and acoustic gigs and it’s worked fine especially with PA support. It wouldn’t cut it with the full electric band but that would be because the guitards are wedded to their 2x12’s and 100w valve amps.