Why become a member? ×

Boss GT10B and Ampeg SCR DI

Braveheart-1297

I’m pretty sure there is nothing the SCR can do that the GT10B can’t, other than having the convenience of a headphone output and Aux input on 1/8” sockets. The SCR is pretty widely noted as having a poor on board distortion so I have little doubt you could get something at least as good if not better with your GT10B. Obviously the SCR is much smaller than the GT, so that may well be a factor for you.

No problem, although don’t just take my word for it - watch as many demos/reviews online as you can and, if possible, see if you can try one out for yourself. You might love it.

The Gallien Krueger Plex is a much more feature-packed alternative. It has a built in tuner, compressor and amp simulations in addition to the EQ and headphone practice amp capabilities of the SCR.

Something like a Tech 21 Bass Flyrig could even replace your Boss GT completely as it has the functionality of a Sansamp pre but with the added bonus of tuner, compressor, chorus, filter octaver and fuzz effects in a neat format. The GT10B’s parameters are much more adjustable though so it completely depends on how much you value tweakability vs simplicity/portability.

All that said - If the GT does the job for you, keep it!

I think Tech21 outdoes Ampeg when it comes to emulating an Ampeg amp... The SCR DI does clean Ampeg sounds and has an overdrive circuit that is just your basic od with blend. The VT Bass and the like do a great job of emulating the sound of an actual overdriven tube amp.